What's new

Why No Love for Derby Blades?

So when I joined this board 7 years ago - Derby was the bomb. I even know of a guy that bought over a thousand of them as his go-to blade (had a pic of them in what looked like a small treasure chest).

Fast forward to today and I see the excitement is all but gone. What's up??

Although I have no evidence to support it, I feel like they changed the manufacturing process. I had some that came in samplers and with razors I bought that were great. Then I bought 200 in bulk that were lousy. Gave them all away.

idk which derbys i have but it feels like im shaving with sandpaper it can be my technique who knows ill give them a shot in a few months n c how they do

So far I have been lucky with derby. Unlike Gillette Silver Blue and Gillette Wilkinson, which have been inconsistent across the packs. When they are good - they seem out-of-this-world-blade...

I've never purchased Derby blades, but I expect I have at least 10 packs of them. People throw them in with a razor purchase and I think I was PIFed some as well. I did not try them for the first 6 months of my DE shaving life but I started using some after that and the shave and smoothness was just fine in my Gillette New SC and in my Weber. Tried one in a Tech for a head shave and it wasn't so good.

I only joined 11 months ago, but I guess that if Derbys were working for folks, they would be popular like they were in the past.

Derby's were what I first tried as they came with my EJ89. I knew that at that point I was learning how to shave with a de, so I would not be able to really judge them. Fast forward to just a couple of days ago. I popped a Derby into a super speed that was generously PIFed to me along with some bigelow cream and I was all set. It's a set up I've used before so the only thing different was the blade. I just could not get a close shave even on the easiest part of my face to get a bbs. I'm going to give it another shot with the last of my PPF sample - a great performing soap for me and see if that makes a difference. If not, bye bye Derbys.

I am new to this but I can only get one decent shave out of a Derby blade before it scrapes off all of my skin. Could be my technique but Merkurs and Astras seem much better. I also have 10 other types of blades to try, so I will see...

Derby blades are like rabbits....they keep multiplying in my den even when I PIF them away to other members....

I can't shave with them. I keep trying every once in a while as the new ones come in.

I like them. give me good shaves. bought 200 of them and I still like them but have moved on to Shark Super Chromes. I bust out a Derb every now and then. Last one was only good for one shave though, I don't know what was up with that.

So when I joined this board 7 years ago - Derby was the bomb. I even know of a guy that bought over a thousand of them as his go-to blade (had a pic of them in what looked like a small treasure chest).

Fast forward to today and I see the excitement is all but gone. What's up??

I, too, have been around here long enough to remember when Derby blades were among the most recommended. I bought 100 about five years ago, and get great shaves from them in most razors. I haven't had a bad blade in the 50 blades ( and more than 200 shaves) I've used to this point. With well over 1000 other blades in my den, my remaining stock of Derby blades should last me at least another decade.

As so many long-standing members seem to like them, and newer members are more likely to disparage them, I suspect the blades have changed in some way from "back in the day". Either that, or there is some type of negative confirmation bias going on. The former seems more likely, judging by the number of people complaining about them. It's also possible that members who have strong feelings about them (one way or the other) are more likely to post a comment.

In in any case, I'm half tempted to pick up a sample of the newer blades to see if the performance differs from the older ones.

I've been around a long time too, and remember one member selling them very cheaply. I think I bought 500 for something like $35. I still use them and get a good 4 shaves from them, primarily in Gillette adjustable razors. No question that there are better blades for around the same money - Lord Platinums for example, but I have this weird attachment to them since I've used them for so long.

I like them. I haven't tried many blades yet, but they are my go to blade between sampling. I get a nice shave with them without any nicks or irritation.

Ever since I started wet shaving last year, I've been trying blades. I've tried somewhere between 25-35 different blades and have settled on Derby blades as one of my go to blades. It certainly isn't the sharpest, and I don't get the closest shave, but that's not my goal every morning. The goal for me in the morning is to remove the hair on my face effectively with no irritation and the Derby accomplishes that pretty well. On the plus side too is that they're cheap! While I like popping in a Feather every once in a while to get a really close shave, a Derby is good enough as a "daily driver." IMO, they are a middle of the road blade that does the job (spectrum being Feathers on one end and Dorcos on the other!).

I used 100 over the last 4 years and enjoyed them in my 34hd. Now that I have branched out to Weber, ATT, etc, I find there are better choices. The Derby did treat me well though.

Not my everyday blade, but I think it's great for a newbie. Put it in a mild razor and you would have to really mess up your techique/ pressure to cut yourself..

Top Bottom