What's new

So what does tobacco smell like?

I am always intrigued by all these tobacco scents. I have stayed away only due to ignorance on the scent. I am not a smoker. I assume they don't smell like burnt cigarettes. I have read they smell like the tobacco plant. That doesn't really help me as I may be too young to have even seen people smoke from a pipe or loose tobacco in person.

Do items like zi'peppino, tabac, cavendish, etc how would you describe the scent?

Thanks

The only one I have ever used was Tabac. I don't get any tobacco. Flower or cured.

Great performer.

Last edited:
If it is done correctly, it is just one of the most loveliest scents you will smell. Just imagine smelling a delicate, sweet, and complex pipe! :thumbup:

Imo Zi Peppino is the best of the ones you've listed. The other two are very polarizing (love it, or hate it) type scents.

It's hard to describe, but you are correct that it is not a cigarette smell. It is also not the smell of tobacco in a field, and not really the smell of just cured tobacco. I know that's a lot of "not"s, but it's all I've got lol. But like one of the other guys said, if it's done right, it's great. I loooove the Sweet Briar soap from Mystic Water.

Ornamental, as opposed to smoking tobacco, is called nicotiana, and the blossoms have a wonderful scent I have never found in any shaving product. All the tobacco-scented shaving stuff seems miles away to me.

I haven't found a tobacco-scented soap that doesn't smell like candy. Seems most think of an aromatic tobacco blend, like cherry cavendish, when they think of tobacco.

Cured, straight-up tobacco should have a rich, earthy scent like dried hay, with just a little sweetness. I also wouldn't mind a soap that smelled like an english or balkan tobacco: smoke and raisins.

Imo Zi Peppino is the best of the ones you've listed. The other two are very polarizing (love it, or hate it) type scents.
Agreed. Zi' Peppino is an earthy, green tobacco scent as apposed to the typical sweet pipe tobacco imitation. Fantastic soap as well. As far as Tabac goes, the sweet tobacco is there, but very subdued.

I've only used HTGAM Cavendish and Queen Charlotte tobacco soaps. In my experience they don't really smell like tobacco (maybe a little like similar to a sweet cavendish like Lane 1-Q) I am very interested in trying the RazoRock Zi'Peppino. (A famous pipe carver for Caminetto was Pepino Ascorti, wonder if it has any relation...)

The Queen Charlotte soap had amazing performance though. Stuff lathered like no other!

I believe RR's Zi Peppino is Tcheon Fung Sing Tobacco Verdi. The scent is nothing like cured tobacco (intended for smoking)

To my nose, the scent is very similar to Aqua Velva after it dries down, but more intense.

Tobacco flower doesn't smell at all like cigarettes or even like pipe smoke, for that matter. It is a really nice light floral scent. I know that some shaving software that says "tobacco" is really attempting to smell like the tobacco flower....Alt Innsbruck aftershave is a perfect example. It's a light floral scent.

I may be too young to have even seen people smoke from a pipe or loose tobacco in person.

Come on over to The Brown Leaf. Pipe smoking is alive and well and experiencing a renaissance much like wetshaving. Ok, that probably won't help answer your question. Walk into a cigar shop and ask to sniff some pipe tobaccos if they have jars of bulk tobacco. You could even buy some, I left some out to dry in my bedroom and my wife loves the way the room smells. I don't know if tobacco-scented shaving stuff actually smells like pipe tobacco but at least you'll know what pipe tobaccos can smell like. Sniff an English blend as well as the more common aromatics and burleys that they'll have.

Also, age is no excuse, the young non-B&B crowd commonly enjoys the growing popularity of hookah. Doesn't smell the same but still fits the description.

I really love a good tobacco scent. The wonderful thing about scents are that they're so many definitions of them especially when its a more complex one like tobacco with lots of different variations. I've loved most of them that I've smelled though.

Think of walking into a cigar humidor, if you like that then try CRSW Bergamot & Bay. Fantastic, not sure how they pulled it off. Turned the owner of my favorite cigar shop onto it and he remarks on it every time I visit.

I haven't found a tobacco-scented soap that doesn't smell like candy. Seems most think of an aromatic tobacco blend, like cherry cavendish, when they think of tobacco.

Cured, straight-up tobacco should have a rich, earthy scent like dried hay, with just a little sweetness. I also wouldn't mind a soap that smelled like an english or balkan tobacco: smoke and raisins.
+1
This is the best description of what tobacco
smells like without smelling it for yourself.

Come on over to The Brown Leaf. Pipe smoking is alive and well and experiencing a renaissance much like wetshaving. Ok, that probably won't help answer your question. Walk into a cigar shop and ask to sniff some pipe tobaccos if they have jars of bulk tobacco. You could even buy some, I left some out to dry in my bedroom and my wife loves the way the room smells. I don't know if tobacco-scented shaving stuff actually smells like pipe tobacco but at least you'll know what pipe tobaccos can smell like. Sniff an English blend as well as the more common aromatics and burleys that they'll have.

Also, age is no excuse, the young non-B&B crowd commonly enjoys the growing popularity of hookah. Doesn't smell the same but still fits the description.

Way to recruit new Brown Leaf members Cap :)

RazoRocks new Tobacco #2 has a smokey edge to it that you might enjoy?

I am always intrigued by all these tobacco scents. I have stayed away only due to ignorance on the scent. I am not a smoker. I assume they don't smell like burnt cigarettes. I have read they smell like the tobacco plant. That doesn't really help me as I may be too young to have even seen people smoke from a pipe or loose tobacco in person.

Do items like zi'peppino, tabac, cavendish, etc how would you describe the scent?

Thanks

Alt Innsbruck has the scent of a tobacco flower, which smells nothing like smoking tobaccos.

Tabac, and a couple of Mama Bears tobacco scents are kind of like pipe tobacco. Kind of a musk scent.

I don't smoke either, but did a long time ago. What you smell from pipe tobacco and what a smoker smells when smoking are often two different things.

Top Bottom