What's new

Acceptable "man cry" movie scenes?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Where The Red Fern Grows

Two Redbone Coonhounds; Old Dan & Little Ann.
Summary:
One night, however, his dogs tree a mountain lion. Old Dan howls defiantly, and it attacks. Billy is horrified, and with his axe he enters the fray, hoping to save his dogs, but they end up having to save him. Eventually, they defeat the mountain lion, but Old Dan is badly wounded, and Billy soon finds his intestines in a bush. He dies the next day. Billy is heartbroken, and Little Ann is so sad that she stops eating, and dies of starvation a few days later on Old Dan's grave. Billy's father tries to tell him that it is all for the best, because with the money he earned, they hope to move to town. He does not completely recover until on the day of the move. He goes to visit his dogs' graves and finds a giant red fern between them. According to Indian legend, only an angel can plant one. He and his family look at it in awe, and he feels ready to move.

Why did she kill the baby?

She couldn't get it to eat, he/she would not stop crying (colic?) and she was a widow (her husband was killed in battle). She had just been terrorized by Union troops. Perhaps she couldn't handle the stress of it all anymore.

Yeah, I pretty much stopped watching movies/shows where a kid/loving spouse/partner/animal dies at the end or profoundly suffers through out the movie years ago. I'll admit to being sensitive to this kind of stuff but they just wipe me out for days and I see no need to voluntarily put myself through it. I will literally get up and leave the room when my kids want to put in one of the many "kids" movies designed to tear your guts out (I'm looking at you, makers of Old Yeller, Lion King, Dumbo, UP!, etc., etc.)

Jeez, I haven't seen Where the Red Fern Grows in 30+ years and it's putting a knot in my stomach just thinking about it. Thanks DoctorShavegood:)

Just not my idea of entertainment...

Last edited:
I'm not normally overly emotional when it comes to the movies, however, Marley and Me had me reduced to shambles. I've since vowed never to watch "dog movies". Not because of the simple sobbing that may possibly ensue, but because it's just too darn sad. And being sad just isn't what I want to be. Too heart breaking and not what I would consider the good kind of tears being shed. Hollywood fully understands the value of a dog and exploits it with pinpoint accuracy.

Anything with animals.

Agreed.

I'm not normally overly emotional when it comes to the movies, however, Marley and Me had me reduced to shambles. I've since vowed never to watch "dog movies". Not because of the simple sobbing that may possibly ensue, but because it's just too darn sad. And being sad just isn't what I want to be. Too heart breaking and not what I would consider the good kind of tears being shed. Hollywood fully understands the value of a dog and exploits it with pinpoint accuracy.

I avoid all dog movies just in case something bad happens to the dog.

My Dog Skip.
Any of the old MGM Lassie movies (a remake with Peter O'Toole was on tv recently and my wife, who had control of the remote, said nope...we knew how this would end...with me complaining how dusty it had gotten in the room).
Brian's Song...saw this when it was first broadcast in 1971 cuz Dad was a big Gale Sayers fan. The first time I saw Dad cry. Not long after he cried again when Leon McQuay slipped and fumbled in the 1971 Grey Cup.
Wizard of Oz...Somewhere over the Rainbow ruins it for me.

In the spirit of this thread I'll echo Field of Dreams' father-son catch moment. I will note that 61* was a tear jerker too. Dogs and baseball... Yep.

Last edited:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
There are NO man cry movies, except for Bambi meets Godzilla; a real tearjerker

I don't know about full blown tears but your throat sure gets tight at this one. Braveheart final battle scene; You have bled with Wallace. Now bleed with me.

The Rock, the scene the soldiers were coming out of the drainage hole in the shower and there was a stand off and the rebelling general was asking them to stand down. I get teary at that scene even now a slight goose bumps.

Ohhh and a bollywood movie 3 idiots, im not a fan of bollywood but this was an incredible movie.

I have to agree that Lone Survivor got me and I'm not afraid to say it because knowing that it was real should make anyone cry knowing that these men lost their lives for us and their families lost husbands, fathers and sons. If you haven't seen it yet be prepared to be saddened by it.

This....
$father_cry.jpg
....and the 'time to die' speech at the end of Blade Runner. Though I am a biomedical engineer so deep down I probably feel somehow responsible for the man-machines :lol:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who finds Up brutal and I need to leave the room for the ending of The Snowman.

If you havent seen the new zealand made movie called 'once were warriors' then its a must.

I will warn you it is extremely violent and heart crippling at times and is unfortunately a reflection of certain elements of life in modern new zealand.

TM and Doc, respectfully it is probably not for you.

If you dont have tears present at some stage in this movie then check your pulse.

For those who want a sneak peak then youtube search 'jake the muss'.

Top Bottom