What's new

Looking for a Folio Recommendation

I'm moving from a primarily desk-based job, where I could schlep a notebook and pen around the office fairly easily, into an outside customer-facing position.

I'd like to find a nice folio that would let me carry pens, phone, cards, pockets for loose pieces of paper and receipts etc, but that accepts a quality notebook like a Leuchtterm1917 instead of just a pad of paper. (I use multiple notebooks and would like to be able to switch them around as needed, and store them nicely on a shelf once they're full)

Christmas is coming so I can ask for a nicer one than I'd likely buy for myself :) any suggestions in the $50-100 range?

Well, crap. You said "phone"...otherwise, this has you covered completely:

http://www.jetpens.com/Kokuyo-Syste...ormal-Rule-35-Lines-X-40-Sheets-Black/pd/6758

That's the trifold design. There's also a bifold design. And an A4 size one by another company, made of a different material.

I've got the B5 trifold and I currently have two notebooks in there, and a Rhodia No. 16 pad on the inside part, where the card pockets are. But it's designed to accept 3 notebooks. It also comes with one, but you don't have to use it. It's designed to accept both B5 and A5 sizes. I don't know about how it would accomodate a thick cover like on the Leuchtturm, but since your budget is $50-$100, you could get this, and an Apica Premium notebook. It'll accept the A5 size(the B5 Apica is just too tight of a fit). The Apica has a thinner cover, but better paper than Leuchtturm (best paper I've ever encountered, actually).

Although it COULD fit your phone too, now that I think of it. There are pockets on the front and back too. You could put your phone in the front pocket, and stick a Rhodia pad on the back. Stick receipts and loose sheets of paper in the plastic pockets that hold the covers in place...they have a double function. Has a pen loop and 2 bookmarks. The pictures on JetPens don't show it, but the inside "trifold" section has four card pockets arranged vertically, and one long pocket designed to hold a 3rd notebook.

Yes, it's just canvas and not leather...but it's awesome. Good luck finding a leather one this cool -- and functional -- for under $100.

See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG68s_bHF0Y

At 4:16 he shows the Kokuyo.

If you truly want something "nicer", though, I guess you could contact a leathermaker and ask for a custom job. Gfeller has notebook covers and I'm sure they'll add pockets for you if you ask, but it gets pricey. Or you could get an A5-sized cover from the company that makes the Hobonichi planner. Those things have 9-11 pockets in total and are designed to double as a folio/wallet/carryall.

Example: http://www.1101.com/store/techo/2015/planner/detail_cover/c_cc_blue.html

Last edited:
^ Well, looks like I was wrong...you can get a leather folio for under $100. But I don't know...I love the look of the large one ($148) with all its pockets, and then you see the small one ($65) and it's just got the one pocket?

But it is leather...it'll last longer and wear more than the canvas Kokuyo Systemic.

Top Bottom