What's new

Etsy source for soaps & etc.

I have become disenchanted with certain big companies that sell overpriced and sometimes substandard products. I took a look at Etsy tonight, and am amazed at what is available. In particular, the homemade shaving soaps that list and guarantee their contents. Many folks are even willing to custom make you something, and it's still cheaper than what I find on Ebay and shaving websites.

Of no small importance, you can keep your money in America and help the small business owner. These people seem to be doing it because they love doing it.

I believe I will support people that support their families. The big shots don't particularly care about anything but their bank balance and Italian villas. I'm keeping my money at home, and helping to feed the children of those whose hands make the products. Feels good.

I purchased a wonderful restored finest badger brush from LoveYourShave on Etsy. Smooth transaction combined with a great way to communicate with the seller.

I haven't ventured into the software realm on Etsy, but have gotten some of the best deals on razors and brushes there. I also just scored a lidded shave bowl made with a beautiful burled wood for a lot less than I have found anywhere else. I will hold off on the review until I have it on hand.

Found my shaving bowl from a potter on etsy.

proxy.php

I have become disenchanted with certain big companies that sell overpriced and sometimes substandard products. I took a look at Etsy tonight, and am amazed at what is available. In particular, the homemade shaving soaps that list and guarantee their contents. Many folks are even willing to custom make you something, and it's still cheaper than what I find on Ebay and shaving websites.

Of no small importance, you can keep your money in America and help the small business owner. These people seem to be doing it because they love doing it.

I believe I will support people that support their families. The big shots don't particularly care about anything but their bank balance and Italian villas. I'm keeping my money at home, and helping to feed the children of those whose hands make the products. Feels good.

I appreciate your sentiment. I am not sure how many "big shots" there are in this business. I suppose the major international companies such as P&G qualify, but for every P&G there are probably dozens, if not hundreds of artisans who are doing their best to make a living. If your sentiment is to help the small guy, rather than take a blind shot on an ETSY soap maker, I humbly suggest that you buy a soap from an American artisan with a strong track record for making quality soaps. In that list I would include: Catie's; Tiki; Maggard; Barrister and Mann; Soap Commander; Mikes; Stirling; Cold River Soap Works; and Los Angeles Shaving Soap. There are many others, I am sure.

Cheers

In that list I would include: Catie's; Tiki; Maggard; Barrister and Mann; Soap Commander; Mikes; Stirling; Cold River Soap Works; and Los Angeles Shaving Soap. There are many others, I am sure.

I appreciate you sentiment too and I would add Captain's Choice, Queen Charlotte, Saint Charles, Shave Den, and Fine Accoutrements to Rod's list. I have had dealings with the 5 on my list and 5/9 on his list and all are reliable and make good 'Made in the USA' products.

I have bought razors and a couple shave bowls on etsy. I live in nc and some local potters sell on there so I like to keep it local!!

Mike's Natural Soaps & Cold River Soapworks are my top preferences but I also found Smith Family Soapworks awhile back on Etsy which is also nice. Another you might try is The Art Of Shaving, their Sandalwood is excellent in every respect. Good Luck!

For non soap hardware I tend to gravitate toward Maggard. They're fast, competitive, and have a good selection of just about everything one would need for wetshaving. There are a couple places I go to on Amazon but you have to kinda look around Amazon's website third party sellers for a week or two to find a legit site so as not to get ripped.

Apparently, you really don't have to go to Italy to get a good shave. I have seen some pretty impressive and innovative things coming out of someone's home kitchen. Frankly, I would like my wife to get involved. I think it would be a good hobby, and we could keep it all in the family. She likes giving hand made things as gifts, too.

Wow! I checked out Maggard, and they aren't just competitive-they are leading the pack! They have outstanding prices on high end goods! Thanks for the tip!

I haven't ventured into the software realm on Etsy, but have gotten some of the best deals on razors and brushes there. I also just scored a lidded shave bowl made with a beautiful burled wood for a lot less than I have found anywhere else. I will hold off on the review until I have it on hand.

I would be interested in knowing about it if you get the chance. I have been looking for something similar.

I have bought razors and a couple shave bowls on etsy. I live in nc and some local potters sell on there so I like to keep it local!!

I think it's always better when you can look the maker in the eye when you do business. Also, you know exactly who to talk to if things go sideways.

Top Bottom