What's new

PIF a Week #19: Package of Fresh Roasted Coffee

For this week's PIF, ending Saturday, I will pan roast your choice of approximately 1/3-1/2 lb of coffee beans out of the selection of green beans currently in my cupboard. I'll list the selection later on, but can tell you off the bat it includes a variety of Colombian, Brazilian, Guatamalan, Kenyan and Ethiopan beans. Heck, you can even custom design your own blend if you want.

Please remember that I'm a humble pan roaster. There won't be any sophisticated profiles or 1,000 dollar Hottops. Just me and a 20 year old cast iron pan and some heat. I'll put them in the mail to you the day after roasting so by the time you get them, they'll be ready to consume.

All I ask is that you already own a grinder. Please post a pic of your grinder (either stock or the actual grinder). Petros the Pelican won't prefer one grinder over another, but both of us are interested in the collection of opinions of the various grinders. Consistent grind? Better for coarse or fine? Loud? Reliable? Prone to breakage? Whatever.

Here's a pic of a roast I did a few weeks ago. Just something to get you thinking.
$IMG_1633.jpg

The roasts I'm doing now are a bit lighter than this and more uniform. If you want a darker roast, be sure to tell me.
$IMG_1632.jpg

I am in. It would be great to try some home roasted coffee.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415126000.991970.jpg
I use this grinder. Works great and has been running for several years. Lots of static in the collection cup though.

I'm in. Using my humble Hario Hand Crank that I've modified to be powered by Electric Drill - My SWMBO shakes her head every time she sees me using it ;)

Here's the stock photo: Imagine the crank gone and a drill using the spindle like a bit.

$img94c.jpg

I'm in. Using my humble Hario Hand Crank that I've modified to be powered by Electric Drill - My SWMBO shakes her head every time she sees me using it ;)

Here's the stock photo: Imagine the crank gone and a drill using the spindle like a bit.

View attachment 515405

I have the same grinder. When I grind a lot of beans, purely by hand, the burrs are quite warm when I'm done. Have you checked to see how hot they get when you use a drill?

David,

hate to disappoint you, but I'm passing on the civet cat coffee bean at any price. I don't have a cat and am unwilling to recycle anything that comes out of the backend of my labrador.

Another awesome PIF!

Im in! Been using this no-name guy for the last year and a bit. Keep waiting for it to bite the bullet so I can buy a better one, but it keeps on grindin' without fail!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 103
David,

hate to disappoint you, but I'm passing on the civet cat coffee bean at any price. I don't have a cat and am unwilling to recycle anything that comes out of the backend of my labrador.

Fair enough, but you and your labrador may be missing out on the next big thing over in The Cafe! [emoji13]

$grindburrinblk_01.jpg
First off is the Capresso Infinity. The word on this when I was first looking for a grinder was that it was probably the only powered, burr grinder under $100 that is worth your time. It's lived up to the billing. It's a pretty consistent grind up and down the range. However it's got a few faults-- the receptacle can get a little static-y and the grinding chamber has too large a gap, which means some grounds can get trapped inside. Neither are major issues...all in all $60 bucks well spent.

$mini-hario-coffee-mill.jpg
My second grinder is the Hario Mini Mill. This grinder with a collapsible dripper is my travel kit. I can go anywhere in the world and not have to drink crappy coffee! The grind is good. It might not be as consistent towards the coarse end of things, but certainly useable-- and definitely tons better than a whirly-bird grinder.

Awesome PIF!! Sadly i am not in. I love fresh ground but no grinder of my own. Have mine grounded where I buy my beans and keep it sealed and in the freezer. Good luck all!

I'm in. In the pic below you can see our Rocky sitting next to our expresso machine. We have since replaced it with a Mazzer Mini electronic. Can't say enough good things about the Mazzer but don't have a picture of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in! What an awesome idea for a PIF.

I'm new to wet shaving but definitely not new to the relentless pursuit of a good cup 'o coffee.

Here's a stock photo of the rig:

proxy.php

It's a Breville conical burr grinder and it has been an absolute WORKHORSE for the better part of almost a decade. Nothing but reliable. Consistent grinds across the spectrum for anything from really coarse grinds for press pots to the finest espresso grind. It was seemingly a little pricey at the time, but well worth every penny!

Wow, cool PIF. I'm in! I have a Baratza Vario to grind in. I use a Crossland CC1 for espresso and an Aerorpress or french press at work, depending on the coffee.

proxy.php

(Photo of the Vario via GIS)

Top Bottom