What's new

Recommendations for a straight for a n00b?

I've been considering trying a straight for some time now. Need some recommendations for a razor and anything else I'll need to go along with it (strop, etc.).

What's your price range?
If you looking for a affordable one look up buca3150 and get one of his GD and a strop. If you have soap and brush that's all you will need. Or you can get a sight unseen from whipped dog.com and poor man strop there also. If you want to spend more there's a lot of options and I will let other guys tell you about them. Welcome to the straight side.
Kevin

Last edited:
I think either something from Whippeddog.com or Bucca over in the hobbyists sub forum are your best options for razor and strop in that price range.

Here are a frame back and Dorko in your price range. VS a GD, no contest. http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=425506
+1 these are a great deal and Heeso puts on a great edge too! If these go before you can pull the trigger then I would go with Buca. Bought my first from him and still use it. The strop set from Buca is very basic but will get you going.
I haven't bought a razor or strop from WhippedDog (have bought a brush and he is a great guy to deal with) but many start with a sight unseen razor and poor man's strop.

If there is such a thing as a starter razor, it would be a 6/8 round point IMO. The GD razors that buca5231 makes shave ready fit that description and are very inexpensive.

I just purchased a GD/Strop combo from Buca for $50, not alot but will allow me the chance to try a ST8 and learn stropping to see if I like this type pf razor over the DE/SE's I've been using and if I like it and have good luck I can step up my game with a better one down the road.

BTW...Buca has been great to deal with !!!

Top Bottom