What's new

Shark Super Chrome review

I've been working through a blade sampler and recently tried a Shark Super Chrome. Since the Shark Super Steel has become one of my favorites, I wanted to see how these would do. After 2 shaves, I'm slightly disappointed. It seems less sharp than the SS albeit just as smooth. Maybe slightly more so. But the differences seem minor or even illusory. In that case, the SS are a real bargain at under 10 bux per hundred delivered. No need to spend more on the Chrome, which reminds me of a Derby. I can't really vouch for longevity as I toss all my blades after three uses. Two if they start to tug.

Even though I'm pretty new to this, I have tried over a dozen types of blades so far. The Shark Super Chromes have been one of the best. I can get 5 or 6 good shaves from a blade while most others give up after 3 or 4 shaves. For me, the shave was comparable to a Gillette Silver Blue, which had been a favorite up to this point. Factor in the price and the Sharks are a winner. I found them to be better for me than the Shark Super Stainless. So far, I have only used them in a pre-war Canadian Tech (w/ triangle slots) and a Merkur 33C. With a more aggressive razor, I'd probably get different results. As much as I want to love the Tech, the 33C has given me slightly better shaves.

The Sharks have always done well for me.
Haven't tried SC but SS are just great. Quite a bit cheaper than Astra, the "gold standard" around here for cheap blades. Maybe a tad less comfortable on those tough areas, but boy are they smoother in terms of lack of irritation. And longer lasting. And more forgiving (seldom a weeper).
And they don't have those annoying glue spots that Astra have!

Third shave today. Very smooth. One of the most consistent third shaves of the seven blades I've tried. But I did nick myself for the first time in a week. I still think the SS is a better buy, but I can see how those who care more about longevity might prefer the Chromes.

Sharks are in my rotation. I get smooth shaves with them. Although they tend to be finicky in terms of number of days. Some times I get two days, other times I get one day.

I agree with the OP! The Chromes just don't work for me either. I LOVE the Stainless though. I they work great for me in my old Tech.

Third shave today. Very smooth. One of the most consistent third shaves of the seven blades I've tried. But I did nick myself for the first time in a week. I still think the SS is a better buy, but I can see how those who care more about longevity might prefer the Chromes.

The Chromes seem smoother to me and also give me two or three more nice shaves. They also work better (for me) than Astra SPs, Gillette 7 O'Clock blacks, Personnas and many others I have tried. I was considering Gillette Silver Blues as my first 100 blade purchase, but the Shark Super Chromes might win out even over those.

Shark Super Chrome blades are one of the 6 brands that I bought in 100 count quantities. I don't think I have to say that they worked well for me and I liked them.
:thumbup:

Last edited:
YMMV,
There is a guy who bought 10K of them.
$DSCN6013.jpg

I absolutely love Shark Super Chrome blades. They are my goto blade when I'm not using vintage. I have some questions about the most recent production blades, though. I recently bought 200 blades of the Shark Super Chrome, expecting they would be the same as my last 100, but they are packaged differently. Does anyone know if there is any major difference between the older blades and the newer blades? I will post some photos to show the differences in a minute.

Here are a few photos to show what I am talking about.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418651154.108755.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418651167.325498.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418651178.809000.jpg

Have any of the specifications changed on these blades? I hope not. I liked them the way they were.

Here are a few photos to show what I am talking about.
View attachment 530188
View attachment 530189
View attachment 530190

Have any of the specifications changed on these blades? I hope not. I liked them the way they were.
Hello my friend , I could't tell you with 100% certainty however I do have a few packets of the Shark blades in the cardboard box and I can't say I notice any difference in the performance, having said that I will use pretty much any brand of blades

Top Bottom