What's new

The Muhle R41 Much Blood was shed. Oh yes, blood was shed.

Greetings to all,

I am looking for some advice regarding use of the Muhle R41 razor, or as I have dubbed it, Dr. Lecter. I have been wet shaving for around six months with a modicum of success (coarse beard, sensitive skin on neck), so I decided to get my hands on a Muhle R41 with an iKon Bulldog 85mm handle (great handle!) and go for the gusto and try an aggressive razor. Bad move!

My first shave with the R41 was with a Feather blade and as little pressure as I could, which I typically use, and proceeded to fillet my face. I noticed that it felt like the blade was too thin and actually flexing with my coarse beard. After a week, I tried it again with a Pol Silver blade (a heartier blade). Less blood, but a lot of irritation and a few bites. I have put the R41 down for the time being pending treatment for shock and blood supply replenishment, as well as sage advice.

Prior to the Muhle R41, I have been using an Edwin Jagger DE87, a Merkur 38C Barber Pole, and a 1959 1st quarter Gillette Super Speed Silver Tip, which was my grandfathers last DE razor. The blades I have tried an use are Feather (1), Kai (2), Pol Silver (3), and Voshkod, as a new addition. I use a multi pass technique: WTG, XTG, ATG, with a shaving oil prep, Proraso Sandalwood shave cream, or Taylor of Old Bond St. Jermyn shaving soap, finish with a cold water rinse, alum block pass, rinse, then the application of "Ye Ole Fire Water" Pinaud Bay Rum.

Is there a particular technique associated with using this razor I should be aware of, or a blade that seems to work well for these types of razors?

I look forward to receiving feedback, as I really want to like and be able to use this razor.

Many thanks in advance,

Don

I find that an aggressive razor with an aggressive blade is just asking for punishment. Maybe try a Gillette silver blue blade. I find great performance but very forgiving with this blade. YMMV. I can place my slim adj on 9 and still get a great, comfortable shave with it. What made you choose the R41 if I may ask? Felt you needed a more aggressive set up or just trying new razors?

Dan,

Blades are a very subjective thing, perhaps the most subjective aspect of DE shaving. I know that IMO Feathers are highly overrated and especially in the R41 they don't perform nearly as good as other blades, on my face of course. I prefer Gillette Platinum, I think they're every bit as sharp as Feathers, but a lot smoother. I'm sure there's other examples.

As for the technique, I think what helped me the most was using short rapid strokes. Regardless of what angle you choose to use (shallow or steep - both work very well) this will help you keeping the right angle,and will also stop you from applying excessive pressure. Some pressure is necessary, enough to keep the blade in contact with the skin only.

Lock your wrist and keep a firm grip on the Beast, time and practice will do the rest. And prep of course, it is especially important with the R41. Beard properly hydrated and slick lather are half way to success.

Good luck.

Feather blades don't work for me...As Freddie suggested, give the Gillette Silver Blue's a shot. Also, Voskhod's work well for me. I find that the steep angle also works best for me in the R41.
$shave_angle.jpg

When I use my R41 I load it with a Lord Classic SS and find no problem with cuts, weepers or irritation, including neck irritation.

Respect must be used with this razor regardless of blade used.

Keep trying...it's worth it for the results you'll get.

Feather blades don't work for me...As Freddie suggested, give the Gillette Silver Blue's a shot. Also, Voskhod's work well for me. I find that the steep angle also works best for me in the R41.
View attachment 496609

Last time I saw that picture (I'm not a member there, but I saw it during a Google search) they actually had it backwards ... :lol: And to be honest, their shallow angle looks (almost) like what I would call steep. The other is more likely not to work actually.

here's the original picture they made
View attachment 496613

Last edited:
Last time I saw that picture (I'm not a member there, but I saw it during a Google search) they actually had it backwards ... :lol: And to be honest, their shallow angle looks (almost) like what I would call steep. The other is more likely not to work actually.
Edgar...a few months back, you pointed out to me the correct angle for shallow and steep. I took this image and photo shopped it so it reflected what your hand illustration portrayed. Are you saying it is still wrong??? Yes, the original had it backwards....

Edgar...a few months back, you pointed out to me the correct angle for shallow and steep. I took this image and photo shopped it so it reflected what your hand illustration portrayed. Are you saying it is still wrong??? Yes, the original had it backwards....

Paul, it is closer to correct now. But if you try it with your R41, with the handle perfectly parallel to the face, as shown in their pic, you will only feel the combs, the blade doesn't even touch the face.

I am not sure what angles are they measuring with those lines parallel to the cap, etc ... but what matters is the angle between the blade and the skin, and that is their mistake.

The angle that should be measured is this,in yellow. They were considering a line parallel to the cap ... not really sure why. IMO it is still wrong because their shallow is almost what usually we call steep, and what they call steep, the handle perfectly parallel to the face, does not work at all. In short, they exaggerated both shallow and steep angle in that pic. Shallow angle requires cap touching touching the face and the handle almost perpendicular to the face.

$shave_angle.jpg

Hi Freddie,
Thank you for your input. It does make sense to me that if I'm using a very aggressive razor, it should be balanced with a more forgiving blade.

I purchased the R41 for two reasons. First, I wanted a more aggressive razor compared to what I listed below and secondly, experimentation in trying new razors. It was a coin toss between the R41 and the Merkur Slant Sledge Hammer. I still may try the Merkur Slant at some point.

Paul, it is closer to correct now. But if you try it with your R41, with the handle perfectly parallel to the face, as shown in their pic, you will only feel the combs, the blade doesn't even touch the face.

I am not sure what angles are they measuring with those lines parallel to the cap, etc ... but what matters is the angle between the blade and the skin, and that is their mistake.
Agreed...I understand that. I was just trying to point out the shallow vrs the steep.
Perhaps you can post your illustration you had in explaining it before...

Agreed...I understand that. I was just trying to point out the shallow vrs the steep.
Perhaps you can post your illustration you had in explaining it before...

It's posted here

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/410369-So-what-is-the-steep-angle

And also somewhere in the Beast thread. Please don't get me wrong, I know your intention was the best. But honestly I think their picture is not accurate and may create some confusion.

Oh and ... my illustration is not as fancy, but at least it is accurate. :tongue_smI could have done a prettier one, but that seems to do the trick ... :lol:

It's posted here

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/410369-So-what-is-the-steep-angle

And also somewhere in the Beast thread. Please don't get me wrong, I know your intention was the best. But honestly I think their picture is not accurate and may create some confusion.

Oh and ... my illustration is not as fancy, but at least it is accurate. :tongue_smI could have done a prettier one, but that seems to do the trick ... :lol:
You draw better than I do :)) I'll ditch the pic for future reference.

I agree with those that recommend a more moderate blade. I use a r41 everyday and my blade 90% of the time is an Astra. Use just enough pressure to control the razor.

This is unrelated to the razor, but I saw your avatar dc. My old man was Marine too. Was stationed in Cherry Point back in the late 60s-early 70s. Anyways, just wanted to say thanks for your service.

See to me, the feather is the best blade for my face in the R41. so of course YMMV.

Other than that, don't listen to a word Edgar says about the R41 - complete rubbish. :lol: :lol:

But really I am a big fan of the steep angle too… give it a try… it works wonders with the R41.

Top Bottom