What's new

Meanwhile back at the lathe...

All done and ready to ship out. The knot is an undersized boar I had waiting for another project and is just there for show & tell.
$uploadfromtaptalk1410638440331.jpg

You're welcome to use the stone any time you like.

Now for the fun part of deciding which knot to put in the handle...

You're welcome to use the stone any time you like.

Now for the fun part of deciding which knot to put in the handle...
If go with a TGN boar order a 22mm while I believe any of their 24mm badgers will work perfectly. I don't have any experience with other vendors. The hole should be deep enough to allow a little upward adjustment with quarters.

Thanks again, CAP. The shape, now that I think about it, is just a scaled version of the barrel of many of the duck calls I've turned. That's probably why it didn't take very long to complete. Hmmm....maybe I'll make a full "duck call" brush for myself next.

Would that handle be big enough for a 30 mm knot?

And, the finished brush looks gorgeous!

I've actually come across a couple very nice turning blanks. Would you or perhaps someone you know be able to turn these for me? For a fee of course.

Here is the next installment! This one is for my nephew who became interested in shaving with a straight razor to alleviate the razor burn he experiences while using a cartridge. I wouldn't give him my great grandfathers straight or my grandfathers brush. But I did put together a close facsimile of the razor and put this made this brush for him.
The handle is a piece of figured walnut that my grandfather collected 40 some years ago. I am trying to maintain an heirloom theme. The knot is a TGN 22mm boar that looked better in the handle than a Finest badger knot and grandpa's brush was boar.
Enjoy!
$104_1359.jpg

Jason, a.k.a. williamsja81, sent me a couple of pieces of wood to play with in the shop. One nice piece of ebony and a smaller chunk of buloke which strikes me as an Australian type of oak. Here are some progress photos.
$104_1371.jpg
$104_1372.jpg
$104_1376.jpg

Although the shape came out well, while gluing the pieces together, I failed to index the grain properly. The 22mm TGN boar knot is just there for looks. Jason will get to choose and install the knot in the 1" diameter hole.
$104_1380.jpg
$104_1385.jpg

It is now in the urethane bath where it will soak for a few days.

I like using black and white ebony, but be careful with it.
In my experience, if it's not well dried before turning, it shrinks and cracks afterwards.

Your poly soak might avoid the problem entirely, but it's worth keeping in mind for those who have not worked with this beautiful wood.

In the first picture you may be able to make out a crack in the blank that Jason provided. That is why the the hole in the slice that I used is off center. I will use the uncracked end to turn another handle for him. Hopefully it will hold together.:001_huh:

Top Bottom