What's new

iPhone 6

Well I downloaded and installed IOS 8 on my iPhone 5s. Typing PMs is now a breeze. The fonts appear a little larger and the Quick Type feature is great. It predicts a number of choices of words but doesn't auto correct them. Instead it lets you choose from the choices.

I'm so glad to see Apple finally adding this. I had been a long time Android user who moved to iPhone (long story), and have been relatively happy with my 5s. I don't like to be an Apple basher, as I feel both have their strengths and weaknesses. The 2 things that annoy me to no end on the iPhone, however, are the iPhones crappy keyboard (and lack of word prediction and ability to use a 3rd party one instead), and the crappy notification management.

It's good to see Apple is addressing one of the two.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I find it quicker and easier to just type the word out rather than clicking the suggestion.
I do use it when I can't spell a word.

So far I haven't found anything new with iOS 8 that I would use. The Tips app is annoying, I need to find a way to turn that dumb thing off and within seconds it was in the SIDU folder - I'll let you figure out that acronym.

I'm trying to use iMessage again. But what annoys me with it is that it alerts me on my mac and iPad and phone. So I get 3 alerts. Which I guess is the whole point of iMessage, but darn "ding" "ding" "DING".
I'm also still concerned that it won't send/receive messages. It's been spotty in the past.

IMO it doesn't feel like much of an improvement as far as appearance.

I also think it's about time they make the preloaded apps delete-able. Tips, Music, Health, iTunes Store, Game Center, Videos, Reminders, Compass, Stocks, Voice Memos, Podcasts - all apps I NEVER use and can't delete. Hence the SIDU folder.

I really like that you can reply to texts from the lock screen and either archive or delete emails from the lock screen as well.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I really like that you can reply to texts from the lock screen and either archive or delete emails from the lock screen as well.
Mine just says "slide to reply" just like the iOS 7 did.
my emails are set up to manually retrieve so I can't test that.

I am finding the speech recognition seems to be better. So far most of my IMs or emails have been dictated without any problems.

Mine just says "slide to reply" just like the iOS 7 did.
my emails are set up to manually retrieve so I can't test that.
I would bet that mretzloff doesn't have a pin to unlock and you do. If the phone doesn't required a passcode then some additional options are available from the lock screen.

I would bet that mretzloff doesn't have a pin to unlock and you do. If the phone doesn't required a passcode then some additional options are available from the lock screen.

I have a pin to unlock my iPhone. I do have to enter the pin once before I start replying to texts from the lock screen, though.

I have a pin to unlock my iPhone. I do have to enter the pin once before I start replying to texts from the lock screen, though.

I don't understand the difference then?

My 5C shows incoming messages, missed calls, etc on the lock screen, you "slide to reply" and enter your pin. What is new?

I don't understand the difference then?

My 5C shows incoming messages, missed calls, etc on the lock screen, you "slide to reply" and enter your pin. What is new?

Sorry, I was mistaken. I have a pin set, but do not have to enter it to reply to a text. It saves a second or two of time. I do have to enter my pin in order to archive or delete emails from the lock screen, though.

I had to get one. I love my 4s but find it difficult to use because I am a very large man with very large hands ( 6'5" with 9.5" wrists. About 380 pounds) the 6 + is huge but actually looks almost normal in my hands. I want to get the apple watch when it comes out but won't be able to do so unless there is a 3rd party band made for large men. My wrists don't even fit in standard handcuffs.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

Nope. No pin code here. I dislike using passwords or pins every time I want to access my phone. Which is a lot.

I find it quicker and easier to just type the word out rather than clicking the suggestion.

I'm more excited that the 6 is allowing 3rd party keyboards. SwiftKey increased my phone writing speed on android by at least double. Swift key already has an iPhone app but it only works for cut and paste and synching to Evernote. It's the first app I install on a new android phone, and that's saying something.

I have text preview on. My question is what part of that is different from ios 7?

It pops up on the lock screen. I swipe right on the message and it takes me to the message app to reply. This was in iOS 7.

Is it the pincode short cut that is different?

In iOS7, you swipe the text message, enter your pin code, the iPhone takes a second to load the iMessage app, and then you reply. In iOS8, you can do the same thing, but you also have the option of swiping and being able to immediately reply. It saves you about two seconds of time.

One of the girls at work got her Iphone 6 delivered this morning. I will be getting one. The size is not as large as I was expecting and the thinness and shape are good.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
In iOS7, you swipe the text message, enter your pin code, the iPhone takes a second to load the iMessage app, and then you reply. In iOS8, you can do the same thing, but you also have the option of swiping and being able to immediately reply. It saves you about two seconds of time.

ahhh ok. Now I'm on the same page.
I don't use a pin code so I've only ever know it to swipe and go right to messages.

Top Bottom