What's new

What's your favorite Cooking Show?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My girlfriend watches cooking shows every day and I finally got sucked in. I'm a fan of Chopped and Beat Bobby Flay. I used to watch Hell's Kitchen back in the day, but Gordon Ramsey's act wore thin and I got tired of his constant yelling.
Gordon Ramsey's act is right on the mark. He has a show on now where he cooks at home. It's like Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
I far rather prefer the pleasant Gordon Ramsey's.

Posh Nosh was one of my favorites, you can catch all of them on Youtube.
They taught me how to embarrass vegetables and to bring extraordinary food to ordinary people.

I really liked Sara Moulton on the Food Network. Now I see her at www.saramoulton.com
and Good Eat's.
The Food Network has too many competition shows. I do like "The kitchen" with Geoffrey Zakarian
Jeff Mauro
Katie Lee
Marcela Valladolid
Sunny Anderson. It airs on sunday.

Last edited:
First, the bespectacled 'genius' of both cook's country and america's test kitchen, spoke a pox upon any and all cooking bloggers, stating that they are the bane of longevity for such magnanimous publications as his magazines.

Second, since now the cable channel megashopping beast, qvc, is a 'sponsor' of both shows, I do not hold their 'equipment reviews' in high regard anymore, since qvc has a lot of inferior products, and it might become that both shows would become shills for their products.

Third, shows like 'masterchef', and 'hell's kitchen', are reality shows, and I cannot stand to watch either of them. Now, 'chopped', is no different. 'guy's grocery games', are just a millenial's twist on the old 'supermarket sweep, no new scripting there, and the original was held in a real supermarket. 'cuthtroat kitchen', after the first three shows, is just insane. I hate to say this, but even the just ended 'kids can cook competition', or the the competition where Seonkyong Longest won a chefdom in Las Vegas, (she's not there anymore, if you got her YT channel), was a bit long, dogged out, and at the end almost boring.

Finally, for a few shows that might catch my eye, are guy's 'diner shows', because those are more true American Eats than 'the old waldorf'; alton brown's 'good eats', because this aging rocket scientist sees the fun behind it all; and with certain 'contestants', an ocassional iron chef America.

I lived on Long Island, not far from the original home of The Food Network, and have watched the channel metamorphose. Today, I am convinced that one of the (expletive deleted) "major networks" have their puppeteer's arm firmly established, meanwhile firmly cavorting with Fido, and ruining it all for the rest of us, just as "msnbc" has made moronic the weather channel.

I grew up watching the Galloping Gourmet (mom's favorite).
I am an Alton Brown fan myself and also enjoy the insanity of Hells Kitchen.

The Great Chefs series were were very good in the early 90s before there was anything resembling the Food Channel. Several seasons of profiling chefs in their own kitchens. Great Chefs of America and later Great Chefs of the East, West, World, etc...

I remember seeing some chefs profiled on there who would later make their mark as TV celebrity chefs in their own right -- Bobby Flay, Rick Bayless, Lidia Bastianich

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I like mine with butter

Attachments

• $nigella_lawson_english_muffin_t_shirt_1_1_1.jpg
    $nigella_lawson_english_muffin_t_shirt_1_1_1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 76
I'll see your Nigella and raise you a two Giadas:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've heard that her show is a cooking show -- but I honestly have never noticed any food....

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ok, I'm tired of Chopped, Cupcake Wars and yes, I'm saying (no nothing cook who spits out her own food) Giada and fling me Bobby Flay. Guy Fieri is another who gets on my bling nerves. I now seek out the chef who's show is low key and informative. PBS has all the good ones.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ok, I'm tired of Chopped, Cupcake Wars and yes, I'm saying (no nothing cook who spits out her own food) Giada and fling me Bobby Flay. Guy Fieri is another who gets on my bling nerves. I now seek out the chef who's show is low key and informative. PBS has all the good ones.
Almost everyone on TV is shouting at you these days- got to build excitement. I hate it. About the only thing I use TV for is football and movies.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

I like the shows where a chef goes through a country. Like this one Mexican Fiesta With Peter Kuruvita.
Rick Stein in India and also the Mediterranean are also good examples.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom