What's new

Once you find your absolute favorite, what do you do?

I recently posted a similar poll in the brush forum and there was a strong consensus there. But this question is more general, covering any and all products you may use.

I know many of us seem to be on this sort of quest to find "the best". Eventually, most folks come to understand this is all about personal preference. But given that, after you've tried a wide variety, you find something that is just "you". The scent, the handle, the feel, the result, whatever applies, it is exactly what you enjoy most.

So do you stay (even mostly) with the best you've found? Or do you prefer the variety of the rotation or maybe changing off regularly keeps your perfect find more "special"?

Just curious because I used to think I was a "variety is nice", kind of guy. And it is. And I'd tried enough things I'd come to the conclusion that there is nothing "perfect". One thing is better in one way, but lacking somewhere else. But these days, I'm finding myself settling into a series of things that, if I don't choose them, I just don't enjoy the shave as much. It's usually fine. Sometimes, really good. But I'm just happier using my favorite items.

They are in my sig but to expound...

I've tried straights, a feather AC, 5-6 DEs (and, of course, electrics and carts, back in the day). Once I tried a Feather AS, I never looked back. Haven't touched another razor since. I may someday, but I love the shave I get every single day with this razor.

Blades. Tried a dozen or so. Thought I might settle on Feathers but they are just a touch harsh for me. Once I tried Med Prep Personas... This is my blade. Smooth, comfortable, close, sharp... Really really nice.

Soap, I must own 30 different soaps. Almost all of them are good to great. But nothing matches AOS, for me. If I'm not using it, I want to be. So why use anything else? I like the scents. I love the performance. It leaves my face feeling amazing.

Brush, this was my most recent decision. Like soaps, I own a wide variety of brushes from many of the top names we all know. I've come to the understanding I like larger brushes. Initially I decided on larger knots. Later, I decided on taller lofts as well. Two of my early brushes actually met these requirements, the BLK12 and Shavemac 227XXL. But the Kent isn't quite stiff enough for the size and the Shavemac is a touch "clunky" so I kept looking. Recently I found a Polo 14 on BST (thanks Mike!) and I think my brush search is over. The size, the feel, the handle, the lather. It's one amazing brush. I really don't ever want to use anything else.

AS splash/ASB, haven't really settled on anything here (and I may never, I pick them based mostly on my mood that day) but 90% of the time it's something from Pinaud followed by an AOS balm. That combination offers a variety of scents and leaves my skin clean and smooth/soft.

So where are you in your journey? If you find a perfect thing (not just good, but WAY better than anything else you've ever tried) do you still keep using your other things too? Or do they rarely see the light of day?

I'm going to give this combination 6 mo to a year but given how I feel right now, there may be a lot of things showing up on BST after that:thumbup:. I mean, just because they aren't my favorites, doesn't mean they won't be yours, right?:biggrin1:

Ken

I guess I am always looking for some variety. I rotate four different razors and brushes. I am always rotating soaps an creams. The only thing I am not rotating now are razor blades. I am sticking to the Personna Medical Prep Lab Prep blades.

It really depends on what it is.

My go-to "I know I'm gonna get an awesome shave" kit, is straight Proraso, from pre-shave to a/s. I tend to save this stuff for days when I'm rushed and I don't want to, or can't, chance a mediocre shave.

My favorite scents, I will use them sparingly because I don't want to get bored of them.

is it possible to find a favorite combination?

Let's say you've got 4 of everything.
4 pre-shave oils
4 soaps
4 razors
4 types of blades
4 brushes
4 aftershaves

there are 4096 combinations that can be tried. That's 11+ years of daily shaving.

How could you ever find a favorite :lol::lol::lol:

is it possible to find a favorite combination? ...

How could you ever find a favorite :lol::lol::lol:

I take your point. With me, it was more of an initial impression when I tried each of these things. They just hit me as "the best". I know there is that period of infatuation that occurs with almost any new item. That's why I will intentionally rotate a few things in and out as a sanity check for a while. But I really think this is "my shave kit" going forward. Never expected to find it, even though it was kinda my goal.

Ken

I've tried to find my favorite of each producer to set up my rotation. In my current rotations I have: 3 brushes, 4 creams, 2 soaps, 3 AS, 1 balm. Of those, the only category that I have 2 from the same manufacturer is my aftershaves (I have Arlington and sandalwood from DR Harris :001_wub:). This way, I don't feel like I'm missing out on a companies offerings while getting to use things from T&H, ToBS, DR Harris, Penhaligon's, Mitchell's, Simpson, Rooney, and Shavemac with out feeling like I have 10 years worth of product laying around.

The Feather AS razor may have ended my search. It was my 4th purchase (in modern times), and may be my last. Two razors are put away and they haven't see the light of day for 7 months. I still use the Futur a few days a month. It is so aggressive that it is a nice change of pace.

I use a variety of blades, but the Shark SS is my mainstay. Bolzanos go in the Futur. Feathers and a dozen or more others get into the rotation.

An alum block and Thayer's are daily commodities. Lately, I am a regular user of Proraso Pre/Post, but just as a preshave.

Everything else...soaps, creams, croaps, AS, colognes...I buy with abandon. I have over-filled a cabinet. SWMBO offered recently to cart some of my consumables to Goodwill or someplace. I explained in graphic detail what might happen to someone messing with my shaving stuff. She has a habit of cleaning out drawers, cabinets, closets, magazine and bookshelves, etc., without notice or warning. I discovered something was up when two of my most prized t-shirts disappeared. I think the fact that I review my shaving supplies daily is a deterent. But, I know I must be vigilant. Other than having this insidious OCD she is infallible.

Still sampling blades and have five razors but I didn't have a goal of "settling". Personality quirk, I'm sure. I smoked cigarettes for years and used different brands all the time. Same thing here.

In a world that offers Shark and Gillette 7 O'Clock in all their flavors, and Personna and Astra Plats I cannot limit myself to "just one favorite" blade. And I need to buy at least one more razor to fill the slot in my holder that was for the 34C I PIFed to a good friend. Maybe a Lord Tech, maybe a Jagger/Muhle. I've got time and a world of choices.

And ain't it groovy? :thumbup1:

My motto (and the wife will attest to it) use your favorite razor until you find the next favorite!!!:tongue_sm:tongue_sm

I have settled that I like straights, SEs, soaps, brushes, and aftershaves. Sorry, I can't get much more particular than that...

:lol:

My motto (and the wife will attest to it) use your favorite razor until you find the next favorite!!!:tongue_sm:tongue_sm

I'm still in my adolescent shaver phase, I love the variety. It's the scents that have been driving my purchases in software. However, I have noticed that I've shifted a bit more to performance. I pifed off a couple of C&E soaps that work ok, but not great (kept the Sienna because it's my favorite scent ever so far). I've even cut off my soap/cream spending, and I've been using the same soap all this month.

So basically my answer is that my answer will change!

I have settled that I like straights, SEs, soaps, brushes, and aftershaves. Sorry, I can't get much more particular than that...

:lol:

I have a favorite straight as well. But it is not so much better than many of my others that I would consider it in the same "best" category.

Ken

If I don't like a soap, cream, or blade, I still use up what I have. If I don't like a razor, it becomes a display item. If I don't like a brush, I put it aside for some possible future emergency. That still leaves me with a wide selection of stuff that I do like well enough to use at least part of the time. I haven't found a product in any category so clearly superior that I'd stick with it exclusively.

A tough question with no simple answer. When I find a great product I usually buy some more but it depends on what item and how much it costs how much more I am gonna buy.

Razors: 4 favs here and the only one I bought a couple of extras is the humble Lord LP1822 (new type) because it is cheap and available right now. One other fav is a vintage Gladweg and when I come across another one at reasonable cost I will get me a spare. I consider my other favs (Mühle R89 and R41) as too expensive to buy spares and

For the past few months, all I've rotated are creams. Everything else has stayed the same. I hope to eventually get my favorite creams down to 6...or so.

Top Bottom