What's new

What's your favorite Cooking Show?

America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country, which for all intents and purposes seem interchangeable these days.

I feel like I learned a lot from the early Jacques Pepin shows. The earlier Julie Child shows were, of course, revelatory.

Good Eats is a top choice for me. Anything with Jacques Pepin is really good. He must have asbestos fingers. To watch him bone out a chicken is a revelation. Julia Child either by herself or with others is great too. Someone mentioned Martin Yan earlier. I liked him and have one of his books. Justin Wilson was an absolute hoot and a half. I got a kick out of Two Fat Ladies as well. Them wandering around the English countryside in a motorcycle and sidecar just slays me.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Good Eats is a top choice for me. Anything with Jacques Pepin is really good. He must have asbestos fingers. To watch him bone out a chicken is a revelation. Julia Child either by herself or with others is great too. Someone mentioned Martin Yan earlier. I liked him and have one of his books. Justin Wilson was an absolute hoot and a half. I got a kick out of Two Fat Ladies as well. Them wandering around the English countryside in a motorcycle and sidecar just slays me.

Yeah, I was going to mention "Two Fat Ladies." A very different culture for me, but was extremely educational and entertaining. Clarissa Wright died this year. R.I.P.

Someone mentioned Martin Yan earlier. I liked him and have one of his books.
I had forgotten about Martin Yan. I watched his show all the time when I didn't have cable, because it was on Public TV and I could get it with rabbit ears.

I generally avoid any product that has a celebrity endorsement, but I bought a Sanyo programmable rice-cooker / slow cooker / steamer that has his smiling face all over it, and a pamphlet of some of his favorite recipes inside. It's one of my favorite kitchen gadgets. I've been using it for about 6 years now and would replace it with the exact same thing in a heartbeat if this one ever breaks down.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I had forgotten about Martin Yan. I watched his show all the time when I didn't have cable, because it was on Public TV and I could get it with rabbit ears.

I generally avoid any product that has a celebrity endorsement, but I bought a Sanyo programmable rice-cooker / slow cooker / steamer that has his smiling face all over it, and a pamphlet of some of his favorite recipes inside. It's one of my favorite kitchen gadgets. I've been using it for about 6 years now and would replace it with the exact same thing in a heartbeat if this one ever breaks down.

Yeah, Martin Yan is a great chef and a funny kind man. I mentioned him in an earlier thread. According to PBS he has new episodes coming out this fall.

Any Jacques Pepin show, if you ever get to see him on another chef's show you can tell that the respect and adoration for him is heartfelt. A book editor presented Jacques with the manuscript for a cookbook by an unknown author/chef, Jacques read it, said it should be published and the world was introduced to Julia Child. A lifelong friendship ensued and resulted in some special live shows together and culminated in one of the best cooking shows ever, Julia and Jacques Cooking At Home which is available on dvd.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Any Jacques Pepin show, if you ever get to see him on another chef's show you can tell that the respect and adoration for him is heartfelt. A book editor presented Jacques with the manuscript for a cookbook by an unknown author/chef, Jacques read it, said it should be published and the world was introduced to Julia Child. A lifelong friendship ensued and resulted in some special live shows together and culminated in one of the best cooking shows ever, Julia and Jacques Cooking At Home which is available on dvd.

Good story. I watched all of the Julia and Jaques episodes. It was funny at times. She always demanded white pepper an Jacgues black pepper.

I forgot about Nigella. Saw her in LA last year. Spectacular. Bourdain is a travel show. He can cook, his book is good for those who know what they are doing. Emeril, Bobby, Mario, two hot tamales are all good, but kinda boring.

Jacques and Julia, and Jeff Smith were my education. Because of them, I got lots od dates in college. Having the girl come over for dinner, a little wine, dessert, and before you know it.......... Simple pasta with vegetables was a go to as was Jacques cream of celery soup for Rainey days were hits.

As for Martin Yan, nice guy, good cook but his recipes were too white. In LA's San Gabriel Valley the Asian food is as good as Asia so I have become picky. As for Bayless, he leaves me cold. I do take advantage of ethnic Moms, aunts and Grandmas for techniques.

There's a daytime show called The Chew. Its quite often on in the break room at work when I get my first 15-minutes, so I've never sat through and watched a whole show. Mario Batalli is on it, plus a lot of others I don't recognize. Once or twice a month or so, they prepare something that looks appealing, something I might try at home, but for the most part, I don't pay too much attention to it.

For entertainment I like Iron Chef. For instruction I like America's Test Kitchen, Simply Ming, and Mexico One Plate at a Time. I used to enjoy watching Justin Wilson. "Add a little wine... add a little more wine..."

You forgot that Justin also used to say something about just a little Tabasco.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I really do not like the "competition" shows. Well this is not entirely true . . . somehow Iron chef worked for me and even Iron chef America. Being Canadian I'd like to mention Christine Cushing, Lynn Craford, James Barber, David Rocco. . . and so many more.

Justin Wilson, for sure. Jacques and Julia. There used to be another Cajun chef on PBS many years ago...I've forgotten his name. And I like Master Chef. But, the best competitive chefs are on Iron Chef. My favorite restaurant is The Lambs Club. I watched Geoffrey Zakarian on the air on Iron Chef, and loved the look of his dishes. They taste even better.

With Chef Geoffrey and my pal Stu.

Last edited:
Justin Wilson, for sure. Jacques and Julia. There used to be another Cajun chef on PBS many years ago...I've forgotten his name. And I like Master Chef. But, the best competitive chefs are on Iron Chef. My favorite restaurant is The Lambs Club. I watched Geoffrey Zakarian on the air on Iron Chef, and loved the look of his dishes. They taste even better.

Thinking of Paul Prudhomme? Really big guy, used to have to sit down through the whole show and he got to the point where he needed a scooter to move around. Lost over 100 lbs in the 90s though.
proxy.php

proxy.php

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Cucina Amore, with chef Damian Mandola Johnny Carrabba. Their show was on PBS for a few seasons. Great fun, with singing, and jokes.

Damian has a restaurant just outside of Austin in a little town called Driftwood. He also has a vineyard and wine tasting next to the restaurant.
Johnny is know for his restaurant, Carrabba's.

$2shot.jpg

My girlfriend watches cooking shows every day and I finally got sucked in. I'm a fan of Chopped and Beat Bobby Flay. I used to watch Hell's Kitchen back in the day, but Gordon Ramsey's act wore thin and I got tired of his constant yelling.

Top Bottom