What's new

Make your own starter kit - what to put in it

I'm a family of 5 with 2 boys, one who's shaving and a teenage daughter as well and I obviously foot the bill for all shaving needs so safety blades are a must. When first starting out the thought of whipping up your own lather can be very intimidating and often overwhelming and there really are some great canned options out there that work well. I bought my son the maggard razor with the grey handle and v3 head in the same color. I bought my daughter the ladies razor with the purple handle and v3 head and started them each with a couple packs of dorco st300's and the shark stainless. As far as creams go I got a can of clubman for him and proraso white for her and so far no complaints. I actually catch my son whipping up his own lather from time to time so he's coming around and as far as I'm concerned you can't buy anything better than the maggard line whether you've been shaving for 25 yrs or 5 days in their price range.

My son is coming back from college for the weekend in a couple hours, he doesn't know it yet but I'm going to drag him into Maggard's when we run another errand. I think he'll be an easy sell because of the scents and price/variety of blades.

My son is coming back from college for the weekend in a couple hours, he doesn't know it yet but I'm going to drag him into Maggard's when we run another errand. I think he'll be an easy sell because of the scents and price/variety of blades.
The grey handled one should grab his attention right away. I was in there the other day and they had a great deal on that and the matching brush. Very cool set up. I snagged the brush though.

So, the day came and I tried to give my friend the razors (the PIFed Tech, and I also added one of my razors so he could alternate), blades (Derby, Personna Lab, Personna Red, and Astra SP), Proraso White pre-shave cream and shaving cream, and RR synthetic brush and it was a bit anti-climatic...

Unfortunately, my friend's disability is due to mental illness and with his illness he can be very mentally inflexible at times. He has decided that he has a "system" that works with shaving every 3-4 days with his Gillette Sensor and using a new cartridge each time and since he only occasionally gets ingrown hairs with that "system" he doesn't want to "push it" and try anything else. He complains about "looking like a bum" but doesn't want to try anything new since he doesn't see how it could work better than what he has (he doesn't "get too many ingrowns anymore and only some bumps"). He is happy to try the brush and Proraso, but he tells me he won't give the razors and blades a try.

No amount of talking it up, or showing him online testimonies from people who used to have problems with ingrown hairs before moving to DE wet shaving would help (not even when stressing a better shave also coupled with the whole 1/10 or less of the cost). I even asked him to just try it for a couple weeks and told him I'd take back the unused blades and the razors if he didn't like it. Nope, he told me he won't even try it.

I guess I won't try to surprise this friend anymore (though, at least he is willing to give the cream and brushes a try, which while they won't eliminate his ingrown hair issue, and definitely won't save him money, it should make for a more pleasant experience).

Top Bottom