What's new

Bevel setter analysis paralysis

Maybe I'm wrong but the cheaper chosera link looks like its bonded to the stand, I'm sure theres a way to take it off..but if not- you might not be able to use the side like you wanted..

Wasn't there a thread recently about how they were cutting chosera down to 15mm and reducing the price so they competed with Shapton GS (price-wise)?

I'll never buy another stone glued to a stand. Esp a plastic stand.
I MIGHT go for a Jnat on a wood stand if it seemed to make sense. Never does though.

I upgraded from my King 1K to a Shapton Pro 1.5K a month or so ago and I'm really happy with it. Seems pretty fast, hard wearing & cuts a nice bevel. The price was reasonable and unlike the glass stones both faces are useable, which I find cuts down lapping as I can use one side for razors & the other for knifes.

I almost bought the Chosera from EdenWebshops last month, it was the best deal I could find at the time but looking atm the have a sale on. If you don't have to pay VAT it looks more like $60-65 even with shipping over the pond:
http://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-naniwa-chosera-1000-sharpening-stone.htm

Has anyone from US ordered from here? Am I missing something as I am getting a price of appx $38 shipped.
And listed as 25mm thick.

Last edited:
This is the stone that you will spend 95% of your time on so make sure you get one you enjoy using. I have the Chosera and really enjoy using it. If I was looking now I'd be considering the Chosera and the less expensive Sigma stones that are not as popular and much closer in quality to the Chosera stones than some of the others you've listed.

The Chosera can be had for as low as $65 as listed earlier in this post. If cost is an issue there then the Sigma can be had for around the $48 mark shipped from www.toolsfromjapan.com. Both of these vendors are shipping from out of the country and will likely take you two weeks or slightly longer to get to you.

I have a 1k SS so I skipped the 1k Chosera and went down to the Chosera 800x for my bevel setter. Honestly I don't think I'll ever pick up another stone to set a bevel on. I love how hard it is and how fast it is when compared to a stone like my 1k SS. I think it was maybe $15 USD cheaper than the 1k but the scratch pattern seems to be equivalent to what my 1k SS would leave. Like others have said I spend the majority of my honing using this guy and well worth the price. The "nagura" stone that comes with it is great for keeping the stone clean and flat. Also I think the 800x is slightly cleaner than the 1k due to the green slurry that can stain things when it comes in contact.

Love the 800x C. Nice nice stone. I still follow it with the 1k C but the 800 is a sweet stone for sure.

Mine are without stand and I've never bought one on a stand. I had Nani SS on stands and I hated them.
So I don't know if that's possible.

This might be a dumb question, but can you separate the 1k Chosera from its plastic stand?

Mine has the stand and I'm not sure it would be safe to do so. If you don't like the stand sell it and buy the one you want. That stone would sell in a NY second on BST.

Just tried to order the C1k from the UK site. Apparently my credit card company didn't like something and denied the transaction. Maybe I'll go with the 800 from chefknivestogo for $80.

Has anyone from US ordered from here? Am I missing something as I am getting a price of appx $38 shipped.
And listed as 25mm thick.

Knivesandtools.com

I did. Took like 8 days to get here (PA), but I only paid $65 shipped for the chosera 1k. It's the original thick green brick with slurry stone and no stand. I'm stoked!

Last edited:
Top Bottom