What's new

Water stone for setting bevel

That's interesting. I don't have the Naniwa 800, but my Shapton 1.5 doesn't take on much water at all.
Maybe it just needs to get saturated a few times.
The stone also seem to glaze a little, and slow down. The results might be better if i spent more time on the stone.
I was just surprised how coarse the stone is.
The GD steel should also be really easy to cut.

Last edited:
I have the naniwa pro 1k and the shapton glass 2k I use to set bevels. Shapton 2k to shapton glass 6k then nagura on a jnat is my normal progression (or 6k jump to my coticule water only if I want that edge). I really like both but my naniwa is in the kitchen and usually on knife duty. Will get flattened and used whenever I need to do edge repair or heavier work though. I also like botan though when I have more time to kill.

That's interesting. I don't have the Naniwa 800, but my Shapton 1.5 doesn't take on much water at all.
Typically, the Kuro and Pro 1500x stones don't. Never had one that did and I've have several. As a rule, they take on less water than either the Naniwa 800x or 1000 Pro stones. Even right out of the box they don't.

Coarseness - the Shapton Pro 1000 is close to the Nani Pro 800.
The Shapton Pro 1.5k is a bit finer than the Nani Pro 1000 yet they seem to be about the same speed, in a practical sense. Scratch patterns can look nearly identical under the right conditions. Or wildly different if you try to skew results.

Top Bottom