What's new

Bevel setter analysis paralysis

I have been getting inconsistent results from bevel setting on 15um film mostly because it is very stiff and has a curl to the film making it difficult to keep flat. The 12um film just wears out to quickly on some of the questionable blades I've been working on. So I "need" a good bevel setter. I've narrowed the choices down to the Chosera, the Naniwa SS or Superior, and the Shapton Glass. I understand that the consensus is that the Chosera is the best, but is it that much better than the Naniwa or Shapton for someone who does restores in the 10's instead of the 100's? I hate to spend $100 if $40 will work nearly as well, but I loath spending $40 just to find out that I should have spent the $100 in the first place.

They will all work just people prefer the chosera... I have a chosera, norton, and a king 1k deluxe... My favorite is still the king 1k

So, mostly a "feel" thing or does the softer stone perform better for you?

BTW, thanks for all your help with my questions. I really appreciate it!

The chosera 1k feels very different than the shap glass 1k. If memory serves the shap glass (gs) 1k was faster than the chosera 1k.

Do you plan to keep using film? What length and width of film do you prefer?

I just set a bevel on shap glass 2k yesterday and it was quick- but didn't feel as nice as a chosera 1k.

Chosera is hard enough to not need excessive lapping, cuts fast and leaves a mellow scratch pattern that is easily cleaned up by progressive grits. Ive tried the king, dmt 1200 and norton as well. Ive used a shapton 500 once, nice cutting feel although cant compare it to the 1k c as its a different grit. We all say 90% of the work is the bevel. I think its worth the extra money. Not saying others cant do it also.

I'll still use the film for after the bevel setting. At least until I get the hang of my coticule and probably still after that. I usually cut the film sheets in 3 equal width pieces lengthwise, so 2 13/16" or there abouts. I use a large piece of 3/8' thick glass for the base under the film, so the glass backing on the Shapton is not a big selling point for me.

If the glass isn't a selling a point I'd say the chosera is worth the price. And that would be my vote.

I like the DMT 1200. Leaves a finer edge than any 1-2k synth I've used and is FAR faster than the fastest alternative. I suspect the equivalent Atoma plate would work similarly.

On my phone so I couldn't edit to add, but just say- at times when I got so frustrated or annoyed w honing- I was ready to get rid of everything in my arsenal but the chosera 1k. I thought- I can use DEs for the face, but I liked honing in the c1k so much, that it was worth keeping for neck hair, upper back hair etc.

I've had enough questionable honing results to appreciate the importance of a consistently obtainable bevel. Hence my bevel setter quest. Thanks for the input!

Is there any value in the Chosera's 1" edge for slightly warped blades? Those are a pain on a full width honing medium.

I like the DMT 1200. Leaves a finer edge than any 1-2k synth I've used and is FAR faster than the fastest alternative. I suspect the equivalent Atoma plate would work similarly.

Atoma wrecks steel imo. Tried it a few times. Looks like it went through a wood chipper. I have the 140, 400, 600 and 1200. Dmts for steel, atomas for lapping imo.

The difference is that Atoma grit if what I know about them is correct, are "stacked" in a particular grid whereas DMTs are kind of "sprayed" on grit. There is a tremendous difference in the look and feel on steel. Ive tried a few on the 600, and 1200 and it didnt look pretty.

I have yet to hear of anyone who bought the Chosera and regretted it. They may be out there, but I haven't heard from them. I've had the King 1k and it's a perfectly good stone, but leagues behind the Chosera. If money is your primary concern, this is not where you should choose to skimp. Getting the bevel right is the most important part of honing. You're not going to get a great finishing stone for anything like the price you'll get a great bevel setter, so clench your teeth and pay the bucks and get it over with.

It only hurts for a second.

Top Bottom