What's new

VDH Soap DIfferences?

I have seen 3 types of VDH soaps and was wondering what the differences are and what the preferences are for each. I have seen:
Select
Deluxe
Luxury

I have only ever used the amber, which is glycerin and it works great. It's the only one that I havnt seen come in a set, you can only get it on its own and is usually $2.99.

I've only used the luxury. As a matter of fact I just used it in today's shave. For the price it is a great soap. It has a very subtle clean scent and produces a fine lather IF you use a good brush with it. I had always used the VdH boar brush that came with it and the results were quite spotty. The lather that I get with the Vie-Long 13052 or my Semogue 830 are great.

I have used them all, and had no problems with lather with any of them, with the VdH boar brush, or any other. I use rain water when it actually rains around here, or distilled water, which I usually have to buy, but when the humidity is horrible, and the AC units are filling up with condensate, I run dehumdifiers, and get soft water from those.

I don't know what kind of soap I received in my first gift set of brush, mug, & soap, but I was living here then, and using the local (very hard) tap water. It made lather, and I was using it when I got to the Houston area, where local water supplies were from a reservoir and extremely soft for a municipal water supply. I had no trouble with lather over there, and still have minimal recall about soap brands from the 1960s up to 1980s. I used creams 4-6 times as often as the soaps then.

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I was a
attachment.php
Deluxe man until I tried the Luxury and
proxy.php
...what a difference!!

attachment.php

The Luxury far out-shinned the Deluxe (which was then my 'go-to' soap), in terms of ingredients, lather, lubrication, cushion, glide and scent. I also add 10 drops of glycerin per puck (and about 10 drops of Clubman Citrus Musk [fortified with Royal Lymes]), before I melt it (nuke), for 'Überlather', extra lubrication, cushion, glide and scent . :thumbsup:

Read More:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/357300-The-Van-Der-Hagen-Society?highlight=

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/sh...product=196305

attachment.php
“What is elegance? [Shaving] soap, [a brush] and water”! Sir Cecil Beaton

Last edited:
I'd have to say the difference between all of them is in the list of ingredients. You have select which is for normal skin and a bit more basic but a good soap none the less, and you have delux, which contains more ingredients that are soothing for the skin like aloe and shea butter. Then there is luxury which is truly a cut above the rest in protection and preformance IMHO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom