What's new

Trouble making lather

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I've seen post where some have said they have trouble making a lather with Mitchell's Wool Fat soap. I have sample slivers and just put them in a shaving scuttle with a little water and let it sit for awhile. Them I go in with a damp brush and make my lather. No problem.

I've never tried Mitchell's Wool Fat. I was always Williams' before...now Proraso.

I think folks want to go photogenic with their lather, rather than functional. You'll probably never see me post a pic of my lather. As long as it feels good when I shave, I'm okay.

I found MWF/Kent to be a bit more sensitive to water hardness than other soaps. In soft water it lathers nicely. If you live in an area with hard water, you may want to use demineralized water to lather it. Also, it has a tendency, once opened, for drying out, that can even lead to puck cracking. I usually hydrate the puck for 10-15 min with some hot water, if not used for some time.

I've seen post where some have said they have trouble making a lather with Mitchell's Wool Fat soap. I have sample slivers and just put them in a shaving scuttle with a little water and let it sit for awhile. Them I go in with a damp brush and make my lather. No problem.
I bought my first puck of MWF from what probably was a bad batch in late 2019 or early 2020. Even though I'm a very deliberate latherer who adds water little by little and swirls slowly with increasing mild to moderate pressure over the course of several minutes, the lather always came out foamy. People smarter than me that also bought bad pucks surmised that something must have gone wrong in the saponification process. I bought another puck of MWF some time in late 2021, and it lathers perfectly with no fuss.

MWF recently
I bought my first puck of MWF from what probably was a bad batch in late 2019 or early 2020. Even though I'm a very deliberate latherer who adds water little by little and swirls slowly with increasing mild to moderate pressure over the course of several minutes, the lather always came out foamy. People smarter than me that also bought bad pucks surmised that something must have gone wrong in the saponification process. I bought another puck of MWF some time in late 2021, and it lathers perfectly with no fuss.
changed their formula and took the tallow out. I have not tried the new formula and won’t, as I found a soap that’s works as good as the tallow formula. However I never had a problem lathering the old formula as long as my water wasn’t hard. If I had hard water, I would lather the soap thin and bubbly, squeeze that out into a bowl. Then I would reload the brush with less water to get a drier lather and then combine the two in my shave bowl. That seemed to work well.

MWF recently

changed their formula and took the tallow out. I have not tried the new formula and won’t, as I found a soap that’s works as good as the tallow formula. However I never had a problem lathering the old formula as long as my water wasn’t hard. If I had hard water, I would lather the soap thin and bubbly, squeeze that out into a bowl. Then I would reload the brush with less water to get a drier lather and then combine the two in my shave bowl. That seemed to work well.
Both of my pucks were tallow. The vegan base change only happened this year or late last year I believe.

Top Bottom