What's new

Lamy Al-Star questions

I have a Lamy Al-Star that one of the fine members of this forum PIFed to me. I have had it for several months now and I am getting a lot of use out of it. I have two questions. First, what is the life expectancy of the converter? As I am changing ink colors recently I noticed I am getting leakage from both ends. It's not gushing out, but I am cleaning the converter both inside and out. Is it simply a matter that it is time to buy a new converter?

The second question is, does a preppy cartridge work on a Lamy? It seems to fit, but...

Thanks in advance for the responses!

David

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Might be time for a new cartridge, although sometimes they may leak at the connection if not seated sufficiently.

Wait a minute, Preppys now have cartridges?

I have had my Al Star since the late 1990's. Still has the original converter. Doesn't leak. 15+ years. I probably should change it just on general principles though. For most of that time it was one of only two pens I had (it was my first). So it got a lot of use. Are you making sure it is seated properly? There are two little "pegs" on the outside. Make sure they snap into place on the section. Lamy uses a proprietary cartridge so no the Platinum one won't work properly.

But a new Z24 at Goulet pens is only $5 so if you have serious reservations just replace it. You are going to be stuck with Lamy cartridges if you use cartridges. Although Monteverde(?) makes a cart that has two different ends - I believe one of them is a Lamy end.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/f...209324-monteverde-lamy-compatible-cartridges/

Last edited:
I have had my Al Star since the late 1990's. Still has the original converter. Doesn't leak. 15+ years. I probably should change it just on general principles though. For most of that time it was one of only two pens I had (it was my first). So it got a lot of use. Are you making sure it is seated properly? There are two little "pegs" on the outside. Make sure they snap into place on the section. Lamy uses a proprietary cartridge so no the Platinum one won't work properly.

But a new Z24 at Goulet pens is only $5 so if you have serious reservations just replace it. You are going to be stuck with Lamy cartridges if you use cartridges. Although Monteverde(?) makes a cart that has two different ends - I believe one of them is a Lamy end.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/f...209324-monteverde-lamy-compatible-cartridges/

Thanks for the link. Yes, I noticed the pegs early on and I do make sure they snap into place. I will probably go ahead a get a new converter.

I have not had a converter die on me yet. The store I got them in back in the 90's has gone out of business.
But my converters are fine.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
converters will wear out eventually ... which is why I try to have a few extras stuck away somewhere (because the pens they go in will get passed down to my grandkids, but who knows if all those pen companies will be around in 100 years to still make the converters.)

But they are not typically the sort of thing that wears out in a few months (unless you use it A LOT!!) I mean, you could conceivably wear it out in a few months, but you'd have to be really hard on it, or else use it constantly. You'd probably get carpal tunnel in your wrist from all the twisting first, though.

converters will wear out eventually ... which is why I try to have a few extras stuck away somewhere (because the pens they go in will get passed down to my grandkids, but who knows if all those pen companies will be around in 100 years to still make the converters.)

But they are not typically the sort of thing that wears out in a few months (unless you use it A LOT!!) I mean, you could conceivably wear it out in a few months, but you'd have to be really hard on it, or else use it constantly. You'd probably get carpal tunnel in your wrist from all the twisting first, though.

I should have made it clear that the pen was not new, only new to me.

Top Bottom