What's new

Newbie: Comments on Gillette NEW open comb (short)

Hi all!

Been wet shaving for four whole weeks now so here goes.

Started on a new Merkur 34c from Amazon and immediately got RAD and bought a few more DEs. One of the first ones acquired was a Gillette "Early" Tech heavy handle. Man I love that razor. However once I reported how much I loved the old Tech persons on this forum said I should try a NEW open comb. So I got a Gillette NEW open short comb off the auction site and I have three shaves with it under my chin and thought I'd write up a newbie "review".

First, this thing shaves incredibly close. I mean BBS with only two passes. I was blown away. Every shave I have with this thing is BBS.

However that closeness has come at a cost, for me at least. Its a little harsh. Some razor burn (not much) but mostly I can't get through a shave without some weepers or worse. On my second shave I must have dozed off because I literally sliced a tiny bit off the front of my chin. Ouch and what bleeder! The other shaves had some weepers or slight nicks. I have been trying to take my time, not rush, pay attention to the angle, and not use excessive force. I know once my technique improves the shave may be less harsh, time will tell.

But man what a close shave!

I know you'll ask to I'll tell you that my routine includes showering first, finishing the shower with a Neutrogena for Men face scrub. I'm using TOBS cream and a badger brush. Feather blades.

I'll probably go back to the Tech for a while. I still have a super speed to try out and I want to try a Fat Boy, a Slim, and a NEW Long Comb as well.

Well thats my "review". Thanks for reading.

Best wishes,
Michael

Thank you kindly for the review. I think I need to give this razor a shot. I keep reading very good things about them.

Just bought my first LC off the bay. I think I'd like to try a SC too, so I will be interested whether or not you get used to it. I've heard the SC is actually milder.

If you're after a NEW LC I would suggest an English Raised Flat Bottom

Have one to sell?

Very nice, but it would be even better with pictures!

Here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...azor-Acquisition-Thread?p=6541920#post6541920

Just bought my first LC off the bay. I think I'd like to try a SC too, so I will be interested whether or not you get used to it. I've heard the SC is actually milder.

When I get back to it I'll try some different blades too. And perhaps my technique will have improved.

Nice review and sounds like you're off to a great start.

Thank you. Its all due to the great guys on this great forum!

Michael

Top Bottom