What's new

PAA Slant and Open Comb

@Phoenixkh interesting...dm me, I'm curious and interested. I think the plates you've noted maybe too aggressive for me. I sold off a Gillette Red Tip not long ago as it didn't do well for me at all. Still curious and intersted to chat all the same. Appreciate your observations.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@Phoenixkh interesting...dm me, I'm curious and interested. I think the plates you've noted maybe too aggressive for me. I sold off a Gillette Red Tip not long ago as it didn't do well for me at all. Still curious and intersted to chat all the same. Appreciate your observations.
I'm looking forward to your reviews on the Filament when it shows up.... They are a bit slow to ship things out, for some reason... but you will get it eventually. I have some pretty expensive razors and the Filament really deserves its place among them on my Top Razor list. I tend to like mild-medium razors. I don't need the more efficient ones, even though I have coarse, old man whiskers.

I had my first shave with the Filament and it went fairly well. I wasn't sure I was loading it right. Loading a Merkur slant, the blade edge is parallel to the top cap. It is at quite an angle on the Filament. I don't see any other way to load it, the blade tabs are even on both sides and the blade is securely on the blade posts. It just looks highly angled. Can others confirm, please?

Attachments

• filament.jpeg
    filament.jpeg
    652.6 KB · Views: 15

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had my first shave with the Filament and it went fairly well. I wasn't sure I was loading it right. Loading a Merkur slant, the blade edge is parallel to the top cap. It is at quite an angle on the Filament. I don't see any other way to load it, the blade tabs are even on both sides and the blade is securely on the blade posts. It just looks highly angled. Can others confirm, please?
That's the right loading.... the blade is parallel to the base plate but not the cap. Mine holds the blade securely.... no slop in the fit. That said... You are also right......it looks wrong but it's right. <eg>

Thanks, Kim, that's a relief. The fact that it was parallel to the baseplate made me think it was right. It can't really be misaligned, given the blade posts in the top cap. But the Merkur 37c has the blade parallel to the top cap and the safety bar slants away. I just used that yesterday and the differences made me question.

Thanks, Kim, that's a relief. The fact that it was parallel to the baseplate made me think it was right. It can't really be misaligned, given the blade posts in the top cap. But the Merkur 37c has the blade parallel to the top cap and the safety bar slants away. I just used that yesterday and the differences made me question.
To confirm, here's a photo of my loaded Phoenix Artisan Filament. Indeed it is the only manner in which it can be loaded. That said, notice the cracks radiating from the screw post.

I am rather ticked at the quality of this razor. I've only used it twice, definitely did NOT over tighten the cap and base plate to the handle and it's already showing such signs of wear. Not happy in the least.

Attachments

• Filament.jpg
    Filament.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
To confirm, here's a photo of my loaded Phoenix Artisan Filament. Indeed it is the only manner in which it can be loaded. That said, notice the cracks radiating from the screw post.

I am rather ticked at the quality of this razor. I've only used it twice, definitely did NOT over tighten the cap and base plate to the handle and it's already showing such signs of wear. Not happy in the least.
Mine isn't showing that.... Neither is my wife's... I just checked them both... I do use M5 nylon washers on all my razors... even this plastic one, though there is no danger of metal to metal scratching, of course.... but the nylon might have just enough give to allow it to be snugged up easier... Not that you snugged the handle too tightly.

I would complain to PAA... They should take care of this for you.

Mine isn't showing that.... Neither is my wife's... I just checked them both... I do use M5 nylon washers on all my razors... even this plastic one, though there is no danger of metal to metal scratching, of course.... but the nylon might have just enough give to allow it to be snugged up easier... Not that you snugged the handle too tightly.

I would complain to PAA... They should take care of this for you.
Sent them an email this evening. We'll see what comes of it.

Dang, my PAA Filament top cap cracked as well. I don't think it was cracked before. I did NOT crank it down either. That makes me sad. I got it used, so I guess it is trash now, but I'll use it a few more times until it falls apart.

Phoenixkh, I'm curious about how you use the washers on your razors and why? "I do use M5 nylon washers on all my razors."

Where do you put them, in between the handle and baseplates or somewhere else? Do you remove them when changing blades and taking apart the razor? Thanks! CLF

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Phoenixkh, I'm curious about how you use the washers on your razors and why? "I do use M5 nylon washers on all my razors."

Where do you put them, in between the handle and baseplates or somewhere else? Do you remove them when changing blades and taking apart the razor? Thanks! CLF
Yeah, the M5 nylon washers fit over the screw in the cap. It ends up between the handle and the base plate.

One of the reasons I use them is to eliminate the wear circle that results from tightening things together. I bought 100 of them somewhere and I’m glad I did as they often find their way down the drain. <eg> evil grin

With the Filament it’s plastic on plastic so I don’t know if it would end up with a wear circle or not but I think one might prevent over tightening and the associated cracking. I only know my wife’s and mine are still pristine.

It could just be dumb luck.

Thanks Phoenixkh! That makes sense to place the washer in between the baseplate and handle, otherwise its more like a shim. I'll go to Lowes or HD to find some and give it a try. Hope the Fri is going well and it rolls into the weekend. Regards

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks Phoenixkh! That makes sense to place the washer in between the baseplate and handle, otherwise its more like a shim. I'll go to Lowes or HD to find some and give it a try. Hope the Fri is going well and it rolls into the weekend. Regards
I had trouble finding them at the Lowe’s and Home Depot here and ended up ordering them from Amazon.

Top Bottom