What's new

Milestone Razor - Hart Steel?

Howdy!
I'm new to straight razors (5 shaves in, only one cut, loving it!) and have the following razors: Gold Dollar 208 (6/8 - it was part of a great kit deal, don't judge) and a Gebr Lang 5/8 in wonderful condition (thanks Lakeside!).

I am graduating with my MBA next week and have received a VERY generous gift for the occasion. I am leaning heavily towards a Hart Steel razor personalized with my initials. I intend this to be a "rest of my life" razor and want to make sure I get something I will enjoy for the duration.

I feel that my current razors are a bit "light" and I think I would enjoy something more substantial. I've heard that the Hart razors fit this bill nicely and are of the highest quality. In leaning towards a 7/8 Satin Finish Square point with Cocobolo scales.

I know this might now be the best razor for a starter but I will grow into it as my technique develops (hopefully with minimal facial scarring!)

Thoughts? How do you like yours?

Thanks,
Josh

Congrats on MBA! I don't have a Hart so can't weight in on that but there is no judgment on the Gold Dollar (love mine)

The Hart you described would be a beautiful razor! Good luck.

I dunno I fell quickly out of love with my hart steel... If you're looking for new zowada carbon series is real nice.. You'll have to email Tim zowada for pricing... Or a wacker from shavingshop.com. Wackers have a timeless look to them also thiers issards high end razors are worth a look too... Google thiers Spartacus or dreadnought

Hello,

Hart makes a very nice razor.

Have you thought of maybe a half hallow with a barber's notch? We recently developed a new manufacture straight razor called the Uno. It keeps a very keen edge.

$P1010464.jpg

Sincerely,
Mike

I have a Hart 6/8, and 7/8. They are both nice, and could certainly last several lifetimes. I likely will sell my 7/8 sometime and move on, but the 6/8 will probably stay with me.
Another thought would be to have a custom razor made,but that's tough unless you know what you want.
The 7/8 Hart is nice and beefy, sharp looking in my opinion, and takes a nice edge.

Have you tried one yet?

Huge fan of the Hart, I have 4 - 7/8 SP one in Satin and one in Polished - 6/8 SP Baxter and a Hart Custom Kamisori.

And they can keep up with Razors costing much more (Lewis, R. Williams, Zowanda, Max S. )
It seems to come down to how the fit in your hand and how the grind works for you. In the end it's all very YMMV....

Congratulations and Good Luck!!!

Josh, congrats on your milestone!
I am a relative newbie, year and half. Recently got this Hart 5/8 round point, which is excellent.
you will enjoy yours, suggest that you get initials on the scales, which can easily be swapped out if you might trade it later!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 189
I have not tried any of the Hart Razors Alejandro, but I would love to :)

Heespharm, I'm not necessarily opposed to TI but there is something about the Hart that is calling to me. Again, I think I might be looking for a heavier grind. I have a pretty prickly beard and the more hollow blades I have feel pretty flimsy to me.

Sarmiento, thanks for chiming in! I'm pretty set on keeping whatever I order so an engraving on the blade is where I'm leaning, but that also depends on how it would look. Planning on making this an heirloom razor for my son as well.

Thanks all for the input and keep it coming!

Congratulations! I enjoy my Hart, but there are many other razors I enjoy more. At 5 shaves in, your taste in razors is likely to change a half dozen times before you hit 50 shaves. If you want "the" razor for you, you may have to wait a bit to find it.

Good luck!

Get a Filarmonica, you can thank me later.
That is what I was going to suggest as well to fit the "something more substantial" requirement.
Although, I'd just get a 14 with a good blade and get it rescaled in something that match the elegance and performance of that blade.

Congrats on your MBA. Hope you have a job lined up. It's just me, but if I were going to drop some serious $$ on a lifetime, heirloom straight, I might want to try out 2-3 of them first. You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive, would you?

Congrats on your MBA. Hope you have a job lined up. It's just me, but if I were going to drop some serious $$ on a lifetime, heirloom straight, I might want to try out 2-3 of them first. You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive, would you?

Good point on the test drive. Anyone willing to lend theirs out (with paypal collateral of course)? I really am looking for something without all of the fancy gold wash/engraving. I've heard Fillies are great but not really considering them for this occasion.

Fortunately I am already employed at a great company that even paid about 90% of the tuition.

I have two Hart Steel razors. One is a big 7/8 and yes it is heavy and by some standards klunky? I like the hefty feel a lot but they are not purdy by some peoples standards. I also have a Custom 6/8 with Plum Micarta scales that have finger grooves where it attaches to the tang which really works well for holding the hefty razor. Would I buy another, certainly. In fact the next time Classic gets a batch of cutoms, I will own the 3rd one. Are they my favorite razors, NO. I prefer to shave with a full hollow that sings to me. The Harts really hone up easily and the edge lasts. Don't be afraid to buy one. pay attention to the comment "suggest that you get initials on the scales, which can easily be swapped out if you might trade it later!" It makes sense

Last edited:
Hi Josh,

Congrats on the MBA and your new job.

I am about 100 shaves in to straights now and starting to home in on what me and my face like best. It's a huge YMMV kind of thing. If you can borrow some shave ready razors to try out; that is one way. I put aside some funds and put together a small collection of different brands / grinds and sizes from what is offered for sale here on BST. A wide selection from wedges to extra hollow, skinny 4/8 to larger 7/8 so see what fits me.

At this point I am leaning towards the heavier grinds in a wider blade. I really like a couple of my old Le Grelot's especially one that was made with Swedish steel for barbers use. I have Hart on the way in 6/8 square point that I pickup up at a great price too. I am being methodical, keeping a journal. It takes time to learn.

But this is a celebration. Maybe just go for it and enjoy it! If you decide you want something else sell it on the BST. Who needs methodical all the time?

Best wishes on your journey!

Good point on the test drive. Anyone willing to lend theirs out (with paypal collateral of course)? I really am looking for something without all of the fancy gold wash/engraving. I've heard Fillies are great but not really considering them for this occasion.

Fortunately I am already employed at a great company that even paid about 90% of the tuition.

Have you looked into heljestrands like a mk 32? To me they are perfectly made and will shave smoother than 99.99% of what's out there and it's available in many different scale choices or rescaling isn't that much more money and not to mention highly sought after

Have you looked into heljestrands like a mk 32? To me they are perfectly made and will shave smoother than 99.99% of what's out there and it's available in many different scale choices or rescaling isn't that much more money and not to mention highly sought after

I haven't really looked into those, but preliminary research is making me think that while a HJ would be great to own they aren't really calling to me like the Harts are.

My DE of choice is an Above the Tie Atlas H1 and I appreciate the fit/finish, weight and that it is American made. The Harts seem to have those same qualities. I like the Utilitarian look of these razors.

I guess at this point I'm looking for feedback on 7/8 vs 6/8 vs 5/8 for my choice. As stated in the original post, I've got a 5/8 already and I like the maneuverability but it doesn't seem to have the sort of gravitas that I'm looking for on this occasion. I think a 7/8 would be the most impressive of the bunch.

I guess I'll read up some on different blade sizes but I am interested in input from people who have the 7/8.

I've owned two 7/8 and that is the only size I would buy ... Big and bold is always better IMHO ... Was not impressed with the shave at least not as much as I was with my zowada (very similar looking) so I got rid of them , albeit reluctantly... but I don't have coarse hair like you do

Last edited:
as stated above, I have a 7/8 and a 6/8 and I prefer big blades so the 7/8 is more fun to use. My 6/8 custom is different and also enjoyable to use. I would not buy a 5/8

Top Bottom