What's new

Milestone Razor - Hart Steel?

What's your budget? Your budget will determine what people recommend.

Personally I, like Heesoo, fell out of love quickly and have sold both of my Hart steel razors.

If you want something you don't plan on selling, ever, I would suggest getting in contact with Cedric Christ of Ali's Blade. I believe he is grinding the best razors out there and don't see anyone putting out razors with the same fit and finish as him. He's at the top of the food chain when it comes to prices too....

Best of luck.

I'm very happy w my 6/8 polished square point Hart razor. It's a solid razor.

Back to back with the gold dollar: it's a much more rigid blade. I much prefer using it over my GD. It's intended to be my "only" straight in a deal w the missus. I'm not disappointed at all and like that I can easily swap out factory scales if I so decide to (I've got maple ones)

I've been shaving with a DE for 52 years, but have only shaved with straights for six months. A 6/8 Hart Steel was my first razor, and it has been a very solid performer. I now have a dozen or more razors, many two to three times the cost of a Hart, but I still enjoy using my Hart in my rotation. After about three months, I realized that I prefer 7/8 and 8/8 razors. A 7/8, and a square point, is more popular than a 5/8, and would demand a higher price if you ever decided to sell it. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a 7/8 Hart, but I would only put your initials on the scales. Eventually, you'll find what works best for you, as you did with DE's. I think the Hart is a great place to start. Congratulations on your MBA!

Congratulations! I have three Hart razors and I am definitely a fan! Two of them are 7/8 and one is a 6/8. Very personal taste stuff, but I prefer the 7/8. The extra weight feels good in my hand much like a bull barrel feels good on a match pistol. Steadying. Two of my razors are round point and one is square point. I find that both shave equally well and it comes down to looks and what I am in the mood for. I have heard every this works better than that on square vs round and the only one that even vaguely applies for me is round points are probably a little easier to learn with for a brand new straight shaver. Once you have some more experience both will shave equally well. My Hart razors have found a permanent home with me. Now if it was a no holds barred full on dream razor I would have to recommend Tim Zowada. I have three of those as well and while there is some waiting involved they rise to the level of perfect artistic craftsmanship.

Now if it was a no holds barred full on dream razor I would have to recommend Tim Zowada. I have three of those as well and while there is some waiting involved they rise to the level of perfect artistic craftsmanship.

I have to second that. Tim Zowada's razor (I only have one) is something else...

Josh: My first razor was a Hart 6/8 square point and now I have two others a 6/8 round point and a 7/8 square point. They called to me also, I have many more razors now some of them cost allot more than my Harts but like others have stated here I still like to shave with mine. Others have passed them on. The 7/8s I have came from Hees and if you want I will send it to you so that you can try it out. It is fresh off of the hones so it is shave ready and shaves very well.
As a new shaver I think all the advice that's been shared here is good and I encourage you to take it to heart. Try some different razors before you make up your mind, Harts aren't for everyone but for some they are just what the doctor ordered.
Let me know ASP if you want to try my Hart as I will be traveling soon. Good luck and all the best FrankC

Josh: My first razor was a Hart 6/8 square point and now I have two others a 6/8 round point and a 7/8 square point. They called to me also, I have many more razors now some of them cost allot more than my Harts but like others have stated here I still like to shave with mine. Others have passed them on. The 7/8s I have came from Hees and if you want I will send it to you so that you can try it out. It is fresh off of the hones so it is shave ready and shaves very well.
As a new shaver I think all the advice that's been shared here is good and I encourage you to take it to heart. Try some different razors before you make up your mind, Harts aren't for everyone but for some they are just what the doctor ordered.
Let me know ASP if you want to try my Hart as I will be traveling soon. Good luck and all the best FrankC

Wow super generous

PM most definitely sent!

As an update, I got a message back from Classic Shaving saying that essentially any engraving would have to be done after receipt and that they recommended only on the scales as well. That settles that!

PM most definitely sent!

As an update, I got a message back from Classic Shaving saying that essentially any engraving would have to be done after receipt and that they recommended only on the scales as well. That settles that!

I figured the thought of engraving fully hardened razor steel would be a little daunting. They bring their blades up to about 63 rockwell and that is not something most engravers want to mess with. Laser maybe, but I am far from being an expert on that.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
It is a great razor, but because you are still new to SR shaving, I would not have it engraved, in case you later want to trade it or sell it.

Hello,

To mark the blade, you can also have the blade etched with electro etching. I've seen salt water with a 12vdc power source and vinyl mask create a very detailed etch in metal.

- Mike

I would personally spend the money on an NOS german razor that had spinework or that was in prime shape - something 6/8 and fully hollow.

And I'd want it to be something that was from the early part of the 1900s. I'm assuming we're talking about several hundred bucks here.

It's going to be very difficult to beat the quality and style and finish of the razors of that era.

I have a 7/8 polished square point, and while I won't sell it, I think it's overvalued a bit, buying new. Tim Zowada has a sterling reputation, I think his carbon series look better than Harts.

I have a Nate's Straights (Nate Zowada, Tim's son) sitting at the post office waiting for me to come home off the road. Theirs are aesthetically more pleasing to me, while holding a very similar profile, at not much more cost.

But I think you need to test drive as has been mentioned. Also, your taste may change a bit, in say six months, as you refine your technique. That's something to consider as well.

Top Bottom