What's new

Should I get another brush?

I think I've finished collecting different DE razor styles, and am pruning back to those items I actually want to use.
But now I find myself drawn to brushes...
Should I stay away from this subforum, is it likely to end in disaster for me?

My brush story so far is:
1) My first brush was/is a windsor boar. It was cheap, the knot fell out, I glued it back in.
2) I then got a cheap horsehair from bestshave.net. It was much nicer than the boar, until it developed a doughnut hole in the centre of it.
3) Eighteen months ago or so I received as a trade a Semogue 2011 LE badger #2. I've used this brush exclusively ever since.

But I'm wondering, do I need another? They all look so pretty, and have different characteristics.

I face lather, and mostly use creams. The Semogue does a great job, but I've never tried any other decent brushes.

As I look about at the higher end brushes (not silly expensive but still ones that are a decent outlay of money), what differences would I see?
I just don't know if I am missing out on anything, and conversely if I aren't missing anything!

Any advice?

Such a silly question. Of course, you don't NEED any more, but you WANT more. BAD is a powerful force.

maybe just get one new badger with a different size knot than the one that you have OR get 2 boars(around $20 a piece) and alternate each day for a year. Then get something new next year. I'm going to start following the 1 new brush per year rule.... next year.

It appears that you are willing to spend some money but might I suggest that you emphasize variety with that same money. The Finest Badger from The Golden Nib (TGN) is a decent badger knot and can be mounted to your liking in a vintage or new handle for $30-50 all total. With the remaining money you can now afford a good boar brush and maybe even a TGN boar knot and another handle. For the price of a mid-range badger you can have a good quality badger and another boar or two.

As to performance, I've been quite happy with my TGN badger but can't compare it to a name brand. I haven't felt the inclination to spend the money for one.

It appears that you are willing to spend some money but might I suggest that you emphasize variety with that same money. The Finest Badger from The Golden Nib (TGN) is a decent badger knot and can be mounted to your liking in a vintage or new handle for $30-50 all total. With the remaining money you can now afford a good boar brush and maybe even a TGN boar knot and another handle. For the price of a mid-range badger you can have a good quality badger and another boar or two.

As to performance, I've been quite happy with my TGN badger but can't compare it to a name brand. I haven't felt the inclination to spend the money for one.

I do have a vintage butterscotch culmak handle I've been meaning on putting a knot into. I've cleaned it out all ready, but have never made it to actually buying a knot and gluing it in.
Its just a matter of doing it I guess

When you mount it yourself, you can use a single dab of silicone to test out the loft first. Set, try it, set it at a different height and try it again. Lets you dial it in just perfectly.

One good badger and one good boar suffice IMHO.
Semogue 830 and WD Silvertip 20mm/45mm are all I have and I don't see any reason to buy a third.
However if someone presented me with a gift of a top-flight badger (say for a milestone birthday or anniversary or something), then I'd use that new one and sell the WD.

Top Bottom