What's new

Undies

Another vote for Ex Officio. 3prs, 11 days on the trail at Phimont. Over 100 total mile hiked. No chaffing at all.
Expensive but worth it for high risk, high reward activities.

I shopped around a couple of years ago and bought a brand called xtek from Cabellas. They are polyester/spandex. Prior to that I had a looser 100% polyester which I liked better but are no longer made.

I got started on the polyester after enduring cotton while working on a project outdoors in summer heat and getting severely chaffed. After healing and going to polyester I have had no more problems. I think material is more important than brand.

If you travel, or work in the heat, i can't imagine how anything could be better than ex officio. Wash em in the sink at hotels and they are dry in the morning, great wicking (as in working in a warehouse in south Florida in the summer great), and no chafing. I'll never go back.

Just a heads up, but after doing some searching online, the Adidas Climacool Flex360 boxer briefs being discussed here (among the rest of their line) is on sale until tomorrow at JC Penney online. They're on sale for $15.99, and if you buy two pairs or more, you get them for $13.99 each. On top of that, with the code BUYTODAY, you save another 15%. All told, I picked up 4 pairs for $11.89 each plus tax/shipping. I've been an Under Armor guy, but at this price point, I felt compelled to try these out. BTW, I'm not affiliated with either JCP or Adidas, just a guy who likes saving money on quality underwear.

I'm a big fan of the Adidas sport performance boxer briefs or whatever they're called. I got mine at TJ Maxx, a 3 pack for about 15$, and then went back and bought three more packs. I like the boxer brief length and they're very comfortable and dry. I will say that I more recently purchased the Tommy John sport boxer briefs. They have a very convenient pouch in the front that has easy access for urinating without pulling down your underwear. This isn't normally an issue for me but I purchased them in anticipation of a vasectomy. I thought it would be a more painful procedure than it ended up being and I wanted to be prepared to be able to use the restroom while maintaining support. These worked perfectly for that although I didn't really need it(surprisingly easy and painless - relatively - procedure.) They're some of the most comfortable underwear I've worn but they're normally about 30$ a pair however I got them on Sierra Trading Post for like 13$ a pair for 3 pairs.

I've got some ex officios as well. they're the only manmade fabric system I can tolerate, and travel brilliantly.

that said, hot, sweaty, and/or in the field, I learnd early on, commando's the only way to go. being immune to poisnon ivy/oak/sumack is convienient when commando and a blown out crotch of BDUs... I had to go back to cotton/wool/nomex underwear while flying, which resulted in more undergarment use in general, always when dressing nicely, but it's still almost always commando otherwise. yes, I voted.

Another vote here for Ex Officio.

Btw- if you decide to try out some Smartwool boxer/briefs select the next up size. They are tight!

Just a heads up, but after doing some searching online, the Adidas Climacool Flex360 boxer briefs being discussed here (among the rest of their line) is on sale until tomorrow at JC Penney online. They're on sale for $15.99, and if you buy two pairs or more, you get them for $13.99 each. On top of that, with the code BUYTODAY, you save another 15%. All told, I picked up 4 pairs for $11.89 each plus tax/shipping. I've been an Under Armor guy, but at this price point, I felt compelled to try these out. BTW, I'm not affiliated with either JCP or Adidas, just a guy who likes saving money on quality underwear.

Nice tip! Thanks. I can't believe our shaving forum has inspired me to buy new underwear!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Btw- if you decide to try out some Smartwool boxer/briefs select the next up size. They are tight!

I was wondering about sizing. I know they are supposed to be tight, but ya can't exactly try them on first before you buy.

I don't know how I missed this thread. Anyway, here is my contribution.

First, a bit of back story. I work in environmental services, doing field work, sometimes foreman sometimes laborer. You know when you see a giant chemical spill on the news, and they show the guys working in the sun wearing the plastic suits? I'm one of those guys.

I do a lot of tank work (like the big half million gallon tanks you see at tank farms), and a lot of power plant shutdown work, confined spaces mostly. This entails going into hot environments with the poly tyvek (plastic suit), full face respirator, and hardhat. To get to the spaces, there is generally a lot of ladder work and walking on staging to get to the space entrance, so a lot of moving around and trying to "Houdini" yourself into places not meant for someone in a billowy garbage bag. If working in spaces where the temps can be up to 115 degrees isn't bad enough, you're in the suit that doesn't breathe, so you sweat. Underwear never stays in place, you're uncomfortable, and to make it worse, things are riding up while you are working, and sometimes you are covered in oil, making it hard to re-adjust while wearing gloves and the suit.

After finishing an ethanol tank about 7 or 8 months ago, I mentioned this to a co-worker and he recommend mypakage boxer briefs. He said he wears them exclusively for confined space work, and he loves them. Looking at them online, the $25 price tag was a bit high for my tastes, but they offer a full refund policy if you're not satisfied, so I thought why not, and got a couple of pairs, the standard weekday boxer briefs. After the first day in the tank, I came home and bought 5 more.

They are the most comfortable underwear that I have ever worn. Even with the going up and down ladders, crawling under and over steam lines, and working in a tank with a floating roof, they stay in place, they breathe, and you don't need to re-adjust. Between the fabric and the pouch that "holds" everything, I don't know how they work their black magic, but I am glad they do.

One thing to note is that they do have quite a bit of snugness to them, so if you're between sizes, order up. I got a pair of the sport style for when I go running, and I had to go up a size.

For more info, pricing, etc., here is their website. http://grab.mypakage.com/

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don't know how I missed this thread. Anyway, here is my contribution.

First, a bit of back story. I work in environmental services, doing field work, sometimes foreman sometimes laborer. You know when you see a giant chemical spill on the news, and they show the guys working in the sun wearing the plastic suits? I'm one of those guys.

I do a lot of tank work (like the big half million gallon tanks you see at tank farms), and a lot of power plant shutdown work, confined spaces mostly. This entails going into hot environments with the poly tyvek (plastic suit), full face respirator, and hardhat. To get to the spaces, there is generally a lot of ladder work and walking on staging to get to the space entrance, so a lot of moving around and trying to "Houdini" yourself into places not meant for someone in a billowy garbage bag. If working in spaces where the temps can be up to 115 degrees isn't bad enough, you're in the suit that doesn't breathe, so you sweat. Underwear never stays in place, you're uncomfortable, and to make it worse, things are riding up while you are working, and sometimes you are covered in oil, making it hard to re-adjust while wearing gloves and the suit.

After finishing an ethanol tank about 7 or 8 months ago, I mentioned this to a co-worker and he recommend mypakage boxer briefs. He said he wears them exclusively for confined space work, and he loves them. Looking at them online, the $25 price tag was a bit high for my tastes, but they offer a full refund policy if you're not satisfied, so I thought why not, and got a couple of pairs, the standard weekday boxer briefs. After the first day in the tank, I came home and bought 5 more.

They are the most comfortable underwear that I have ever worn. Even with the going up and down ladders, crawling under and over steam lines, and working in a tank with a floating roof, they stay in place, they breathe, and you don't need to re-adjust. Between the fabric and the pouch that "holds" everything, I don't know how they work their black magic, but I am glad they do.

One thing to note is that they do have quite a bit of snugness to them, so if you're between sizes, order up. I got a pair of the sport style for when I go running, and I had to go up a size.

For more info, pricing, etc., here is their website. http://grab.mypakage.com/
great testimonial. I bookmarked that link. will likely try a pair.

It's Ex Officio for me, like many of those who already posted. Comfortable, supportive, long-lasting, and they wick moisture. REI carries them, or you can buy them online. Great for traveling - you can wash them in the sink, wring them out and hang them up, and they're dry by morning.

It could be delusional too, but I'd bet on the gospel. If you read the ad it talks about "no more wet balls" and "Angels cradling your package." That sounds a little like one could imagine a hot Alabama sermon with the AC broken digressing into something like that.

I"m sold on a pair of those and probably a pair of the Adidas. I've tried underarmor and they squish too much. I'm a boxers guy, so a boxer brief has to be gentle with its support or my twig and giggle berries will be less than happy.

This middle east heat had me thinking about better boxers all day. Powder can only do so much.

This middle east heat had me thinking about better boxers all day. Powder can only do so much.
I just wear briefs, I dont like tight constriction around my legs, and boxers is a no go, hadn't had a problem with the heat or chafing. The sand though is a different story. It will be nice when I can step inside without feeling like a powder doughnut.

First, I'd like to damn this thread for the impact on my bank account. After stalking this thread for a few days, I stopped at Ross, TJ Maxx, and Marshalls on my way home from work (they're all conveniently on the way) and looked around. I ended up spending just about $130 on underwear thanks to this thread. To be fair, I've been long long long overdue for new underwear, and I needed to purchase a bunch regardless, but I would have normally gotten the Hanes (or similar) packs and be done with it until they're in tatters. I managed to pick up quite a few of the Adidas mentioned, as well as similar Reebok styles. They're definitely priced considerably cheaper than Amazon or anywhere else I peeked around ($9.99 - 12.99 for two pair seems the norm at all three). I sure do hope they are as nice as they've been made out to be. I sort of dove right in.

Top Bottom