What's new

New DE Shaver - Tell me your 'must haves'

Hi everybody, I've just signed up to badger and blade. I started wet shaving about 4 weeks ago now and am developing an addiction to shaving products and tools! I am a member of the BiG Shave and enjoy seeing everybody's SOTD and the variety of products used. I currently own an EJ DE89, a LORD L6, Tabac shave stick, proraso green soap, Nivea after shave balm, Omega pure bristle brush. So tell me, what are your MUST HAVE shave products.

If I were on a desert island and could only have one of each product category I would have...

Desert Island huh? Barbasol, Red Tip, Lord Platinum Class, Aqua Velva Ice Blue. I'm going for the minimum I would need to be happy. Not my dream products.

Brush: Semogue 1305
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Soap: Anything Stirling
Razor: 1940's Gillette Super Speed
AS: Clubman Original

Classic, basic, and devastatingly effective!

Brush: Any boar brush
Blade: Personna med
Soap: Barrister and mann
Razor: Muhle R89
AS: That would be the hardest choice

Barrister and mann is a must try soap

Must haves would include a razor, Personna Meds, any decent brush and soap, and a good bay rum AS. The particular razor, brush and soap doesn't make a big difference and don't need more than one of each.

Brush: Omega 10290
Blade: GEM SS
Soap: Mike's Lime
Razor: GEM 1912
AS: Pinaud Clubman or Aqua Velva - to hard to call

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Must haves? A razor, blade, soap, brush

Seriously, though:
Brush probably Duke3 but maybe Persian Jar 2
Razor Merkur Futur
Blade Personna Lab Blue or Med Preps
Soap Arko Stick or Mama Bear Eucalyptus

Razor: My Gillette Tech Ball (Inherited from late father-in-law.)
Blade: Ladas
Soap: Provence Sante Green Tea
Brush: Either my Omega 11126 or Semogue 1305
AFS: Clubman Origninal

Realistically, lets also add survival tools, food and water supplies to get established, medical supplies, and adequate clothing and footwear.

Simple boar brush. Semogue 1460 works great for me.
I wouldn't want to be without a La Toja soap or MWF.
I can have a cream, too, right? I think I would go with O Melhor.
Blade? Astra SP.
Aftershave? My favorite right now is Myrsol Agua di Limon.
Razor? Merkur 34C.

I'd never have a bad shave with that gear!

New Standard (or my Rolls, but you said DE.)
Voskhod blade (or a Polsilver)
My shop-made badger brush
Proraso Red
Home-made PSO
Alum bar.
Not sure about the AS... Perhaps Sterling Vetiver?

Tried, but I can't. Brush, razor, blade, skin food, AS, even bowl, sure, I can pick one. But get me to soaps, croaps, and creams, and I am useless: I can't see less than ten, realistically, in any survival kit.

TOBS Jermyn st,
weber polished head bulldog razor (this will outlive me)
plain witchhazel,
Rooney heritage emillion 1 brush
Cheap but big enough bowl
Proraso green aftershave splash
Styptic pencil

Blade is the most difficult- I like using astras but I like using feathers also for different reasons. I think if I had to choose one it would probably be feathers (provided that I have practically unlimited time to shave daily, as I like to take my time with them)

Last edited:
Ditch the Nivea. I know it's highly thought of around here, but I think that's just because it's so easy to find. To me, it just sits on my face, and doesn't do anything but leave me feeling greasy. Order a tube of baxters if you like balms. Maybe try castle forbes if you find that you still like balms after you have tried a bunch of aftershaves. I would send you some, but I'm sending it to a guy that PIFd me some shavettes

Ditch the Nivea. I know it's highly thought of around here, but I think that's just because it's so easy to find. To me, it just sits on my face, and doesn't do anything but leave me feeling greasy. Order a tube of baxters if you like balms. Maybe try castle forbes if you find that you still like balms after you have tried a bunch of aftershaves. I would send you some, but I'm sending it to a guy that PIFd me some shavettes

Thanks for the advice. I acquired the Nivea back when I was using cartridge razors and haven't got round to replacing it yet. I'll try out baxters. I got a load of free samples to try first, truefitt and hill sent me samples of the entire balm range and also l'occitane sent me a couple of samples of Cade balm.

Top Bottom