What's new

Anybody still use an electric?

Hi everyone. Before I started wetshaving over 3 years ago now, I was using an electric daily with the occasional Gillette Fusion shave for special events. The Fusion gave me a bunch of irritation on the neck so I kept its use to a minimum, while the electric (a decent Panasonic) was actually very comfortable (it was a wet/dry model so I used it with a brushless shaving cream) and uber fast (2min). The only drawback was that it wasn't a close shave at all! By noon I'd get the 5 o'clock shadow, so even for work it wasn't perfect. Ever since I started shaving with DEs, I haven't looked back. Sure I tried a bunch of different ones, straights, shavettes and SE included, but I always went back to some DE-blade combo for the best results. Currently the R41 (2013) with a Feather is my daily driver, and I couldn't be happier!

What is your background? What works for you and are you still using an electric every now and then? Cheers!

Electrics never worked for me, and I tried several, of all types, over the years. I always ended up giving them away.

I have an inexpensive ($20) Bruan electric that I use for touchups between wet shaves when traveling. I never use an electric at home.

My name is Sam. I am a shave-aholic. My 4th DE shave will occur tonight.

I have used everything out there over the past 35 years, except traditional shaving tools. I would estimate that I spent close to a thousand dollars on electric shavers and super-duper mutli-blades over the last 5 years, alone. I have been an easy target for the latest and greatest, always to be disappointed when the new wore off and I realized that my shave still sucked. If I can reach a point where I can get a great shave in 20 minutes or less with a DE safety razor, I will be ecstatic. I have faith that I will get there. This many guys on one forum can't all be wrong!!

$81NEZHc-R7L._SL1500_.jpg

I keep a Panasonic wet/dry electric around. It works well, but it doesn't shave nearly as close as a DE; But it delivers the best electric shave when used with lather. I haven't used it in a long time. I prefer a DE shave.

I use one occasionally for my head only, and then I usually go over it w/ a DE to get it really close to the skin.
cottontop

I use one regularly for a final, polishing pass, especially at the base of my throat. My Norelco rotary seems to get those flat-lying hairs that no number of passes, J - hooks or anything else remove completely.

View attachment 475371

I keep a Panasonic wet/dry electric around. It works well, but it doesn't shave nearly as close as a DE; But it delivers the best electric shave when used with lather. I haven't used it in a long time. I prefer a DE shave.

That's the shaver I've used for the past 10 years or so. I still keep it for touch ups around my goatee and stash. Been DE shaving now for 4 months so I haven't shaved with it in a while.....not a bad electric though.

Hi everyone. Before I started wetshaving over 3 years ago now, I was using an electric daily with the occasional Gillette Fusion shave for special events. (snip!)

What is your background? What works for you and are you still using an electric every now and then? Cheers!
I've never been able to continue using any kind of electric shaver over much of a time span without irritation, although throughout the many years that I've been shaving, I've tried it quite a few times. The Norelco type, with spinning heads, has been both less irritating, and the closest to a good shave any shaver offered.

I keep one of the cordless ones in my car for emergency shaves when I'm away from the house too long since a last shave, and cannot get back before I have to be somewhere that I'd rather look somewhat well shaved. Once I learned to use a classic type SE razor well, and then an Injector, as a youngster, then later on finally mastered a DE, I cannot recall any similar rash, reddish spots, or other symptoms of irritation from classic shaving instruments.

I can get good shaves from any classic razor, with the exception of straights, and I have no interest in using those. I used Sensors for many years at the end of my working career, and even used Edge Gel with them. I never used Gillette's many-bladed things. I bought a Mach3, but it was so shoddily made that the cartridge head wouldn't stay on it. I tried the Sensor Excel3 and it seemed to shave about the same as the Sensor twin, so I kept using the two bladed cartridges.

Because of the hardness of our water supply, I use either a Hydro3 or an Xtreme3 to shave in the shower, and put up with the calcium buildup on those.

View attachment 475371

i got one of those to replace my REmington
still dont work good for me , only after 3-5 days of beard
Also i find that CArtridge system expensive and wasteful, the remington system of cleaning was better

My name is Sam. I am a shave-aholic. My 4th DE shave will occur tonight.

I have used everything out there over the past 35 years, except traditional shaving tools. I would estimate that I spent close to a thousand dollars on electric shavers and super-duper mutli-blades over the last 5 years, alone. I have been an easy target for the latest and greatest, always to be disappointed when the new wore off and I realized that my shave still sucked. If I can reach a point where I can get a great shave in 20 minutes or less with a DE safety razor, I will be ecstatic. I have faith that I will get there. This many guys on one forum can't all be wrong!!

Keep at it and you will definitely get there. Took me about 2 months to get to a point where I get great shaves with just about any razor or blade in about 10 minutes...

Tried an electric when I was 17 and heading off to college, my mother bought it for me. I never took to it, never liked it and never got anywhere near a decent shave.

The one shaving implement that simply did not work for me.
Ditto. I keep a Wahl electric beard trimmer for keeping my beard neat when I'm wearing one but that's all I can use them for. Electric razors leave me feeling like I didn't shave at all aside from the irritation.

I still have mine. Used it religiously for 12years. Norelco 8894xl James Bond edition.

$8894le.jpg

Never enjoyed shaving, it was always a chore. Electric got the job done, albeit not very well, in about 90-120 seconds. I still keep it. In fact, I used it one morning last week as I running late and needed a touch up. I will say the shave sucked but, since using a DE and soaps my skin is much more accepting of the abuse the electric put it through.

Now I use a DE my shaves take 20min. I feel great and find it well worth the additional time and effort to de-stress and feel good all day.

Here is the last one that I bought. $399.99 when it hit the shelf at Best Buy. It does a fair job with water/foam/cream, but it took me 15-20 minutes if I wanted a better than passable shave. And, my wife hates the noise of electric razors, for some reason. She is happy that my new obsession is a silent one! So far, she thinks the DE route is cheaper, as well. :wink:

Attachments

• $ES-LV81-K_400_1.png
    $ES-LV81-K_400_1.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 215
I was never able to get electrics to work for me. I've even cut my face trying to get them to actually cut my beard!

I've only been DE shaving for about 8 months, but I've wet shaved with cartridges for the previous 26 years I spent shaving!

View attachment 475371

this is pretty close to what I have, and like you, never got a close shave from it. Otherwise it's comfortable and very quick!

Top Bottom