What's new

Siliconed brush head

On the first brush I made I was told to set the knot with silicone so it could be removed if necessary. It is now solid as a rock when I use it; I was just wondering how I would go about removing it if I ever needed to. Silicone does seem to make more sense than epoxy. What do you think?

You should be able to grab the handle in one hand and the knot in the other and give it a firm steady pull with a little twisting force. It should come apart without damage to the knot. When I temporarily set a knot with silicone, I just use a pea sized spot. One brush I set this way has been used at least ten times over the last month without wiggling.

I found that silicone worked so well I now use it as a permanent application for all my restores. It holds it in well enough to be permanent but allows you to remove the knot at a later date without damaging it. Recently I changed the hair grade in a favorite handle. I had used silicone and it was in there so well I had to put it in a vice to remove the knot.
Another advantage of using silicone is that if you do accidentally allow a small amount to seep onto the hair at the base it can be removed with a comb.

Try silicone first. If for some reason it displeases you just remove it and go with the epoxy.

Is there a better type of silicon to use, or are they all pretty much the same? I am thinking of using it with my 400-4

Is there a better type of silicon to use, or are they all pretty much the same? I am thinking of using it with my 400-4

I have been using Loctite brand with great success only because it was available to me. I don't know if there is a big difference in brands.

Top Bottom