What's new

25mm Knot in 26mm Handle?

It took quite a bit of drilling and then sanding with a Dremel to get the hole the depth and width I needed. If I had a 25mm Forstner bit, it probably would have been faster and simpler, but I'm retired, so I was drilling with a 3/4 inch wood bit and then enlarging that hole with the Dremel. Tedious but effecitve.
In order to fill the hole at the exit point, I needed to set the knot a bit deeper than I might have preferred, but even then I measured the loft at 55mm. I'll let it set until Tuesday morning, when I'll give it a try.
Thanks everyone for all of the helpful suggestions.

PXL_20230903_153829990~2.jpg

It took quite a bit of drilling and then sanding with a Dremel to get the hole the depth and width I needed. If I had a 25mm Forstner bit, it probably would have been faster and simpler, but I'm retired, so I was drilling with a 3/4 inch wood bit and then enlarging that hole with the Dremel. Tedious but effecitve.
In order to fill the hole at the exit point, I needed to set the knot a bit deeper than I might have preferred, but even then I measured the loft at 55mm. I'll let it set until Tuesday morning, when I'll give it a try.
Thanks everyone for all of the helpful suggestions.

View attachment 1712047
55 mm just didn't look right for that loft, so I re-measured. I think it's closer to 52mm, which is not as high as would have liked, but it's as high as I could go if I didn't want to have a gap between the edge of the handle opening and the knot.
I'll see on Tuesday if it limits the splay to a point that I find unpleasant. If so, I'll probably wind up seeing if I can sell this one and buy one from Rudy Vey or AP Shave with a loft around 55.

55 mm just didn't look right for that loft, so I re-measured. I think it's closer to 52mm, which is not as high as would have liked, but it's as high as I could go if I didn't want to have a gap between the edge of the handle opening and the knot.
I'll see on Tuesday if it limits the splay to a point that I find unpleasant. If so, I'll probably wind up seeing if I can sell this one and buy one from Rudy Vey or AP Shave with a loft around 55.
I am very happy to say that the brush splays just fine and was a pleasure to use. I probably should have waited a full 24 hours to let the epoxy set, but I was anxious to see if the loft was just too low to allow the brush to splay comfortably while face lathering. Happily that was not the case.

Top Bottom