What's new

Advice needed on setting a fan synthetic knot into a brush

I'm thinking of setting a knot into a handle for the first time - I've never done this before, and am not particularly good with tools/glues/etc. Having said that . . .

I have a 30 mm Cashmere fan knot (low backbone) from APShaveCo on the way - I like the knot in a bulb, and wanted to try a really big brush so a 30 mm fan seemed like a good idea (I may regret this later, as that's a lot of brush!). I am looking at 2 handles; they are predrilled and come in 13 mm and 17 mm depths.

Per APShaveCo's website, they mention 12-15 mm as a good depth to set a synthetic.

My question: should I go for the 13 mm handle, or the 17 mm? How do you glue a knot down (a pea sized dollop of silicone or epoxy glue)? Is silicone sealant and adhesive the same as silicone glue? How long does it take to cure/before I can use the brush?

Thanks in advance!

I would go with the 17 mm so that I would have the option to set the knot deeper than 13 mm if need be. You can put plastic washers in the handle hole to adjust the loft to your liking. Plastic washers are available in the plumbing section of any hardware store.

Start by securing the knot hair with a rubber band. This will make the knot easier to handle and you'll be less likely to get glue on a stray hair. Then put a bit of silicone adhesive in the bottom of the knot hole and spread it around with a toothpick or similar implement. A pea-sized amount is about right. If you want to increase the loft, add a washer or two or three, depending on how high you want the loft, adding more silicone between each washer. Put silicone atop the last washer and press the knot into the hole, twisting it a bit to make sure it makes good contact with the adhesive. I usually wait at least 24 hours before using it.

If after using it you find that you want to change the loft, grab the knot firmly near the handle. Twist and pull. It should come out. You can then add or subtract washers to make your adjustment.

I think that silicone adhesive/sealant/caulk/glue should all work fine.

Hope this helps.

Don't sweat it! It's not hard.

I would go with the 17 mm so that I would have the option to set the knot deeper than 13 mm if need be. You can put plastic washers in the handle hole to adjust the loft to your liking. Plastic washers are available in the plumbing section of any hardware store.

Start by securing the knot hair with a rubber band. This will make the knot easier to handle and you'll be less likely to get glue on a stray hair. Then put a bit of silicone adhesive in the bottom of the knot hole and spread it around with a toothpick or similar implement. A pea-sized amount is about right. If you want to increase the loft, add a washer or two or three, depending on how high you want the loft, adding more silicone between each washer. Put silicone atop the last washer and press the knot into the hole, twisting it a bit to make sure it makes good contact with the adhesive. I usually wait at least 24 hours before using it.

If after using it you find that you want to change the loft, grab the knot firmly near the handle. Twist and pull. It should come out. You can then add or subtract washers to make your adjustment.

I think that silicone adhesive/sealant/caulk/glue should all work fine.

Hope this helps.

Don't sweat it! It's not hard.
Thanks!

Have you received the knot? Have you set it in the handle? Inquiring minds want to know! And please, pictures are the best part!!!

IMG_9245.jpeg
IMG_9247.jpeg

Since I can't figure out how to add text before the photos, here's my explanation of the above:

I have 3 Cashmere knot brushes (1 travel/small, 1 24 mm/medium in a custom Grizzly handle, and the 30 mm Cashmere in the green DSCosmetic handle). Pictures are for size comparison, and the Semogue SOC and Merkur slant sledgehammer are also for size comparisons.

The 30 mm is, obviously, a BIG BRUSH! I was going for "wall of cloud", and it feels just like that. Enough backbone to lather, splays very easily, and just plain feels great.

There's a nylon spacer with silicone adhesive inside the handle to support the knot, which is set about 1-2 mm from the top lip (just enough to hide the glue bump); setting it deeper didn't feel as good to me.

I also had a Muhle STF 24 mm (maybe 22 mm?), and it took much more effort to splay so I don't use it anymore.

Now that I've put a brush together, it was pretty easy. The waiting was the hardest part. I do really like the shape of the DSCosmetic handle as well; it just feels like it's easy to grip (and I like to hold the brush close to the knot for face lathering).

5/5, would do again!

30mm is small compared to 34mm. thanks for sharing, im considering getting cashmere knot. I've heard they're super soft. I think I'll have him set it though. sadly handle I like is only up to 26mm.

30mm is small compared to 34mm. thanks for sharing, im considering getting cashmere knot. I've heard they're super soft. I think I'll have him set it though. sadly handle I like is only up to 26mm.
The Cashmere has the softest tips of any brush I’ve tried; hope you enjoy the 26

Take a close look at the handle. There may be room enough to open it up. Most 26 mm handles can be opened up to at least 28 mm. I often buy 24 mm handles and open them up to 26 mm. I have one that I bought as a 24 mm with a flat top knot, didn't like how it lathered, so I opened up the hole and installed a 28 mm knot. That's my largest synthetic brush and it is delightful.

When I want a 30 mm handle, I usually get a Whipped Dog Tall. You might check it out.

Take a close look at the handle. There may be room enough to open it up. Most 26 mm handles can be opened up to at least 28 mm. I often buy 24 mm handles and open them up to 26 mm. I have one that I bought as a 24 mm with a flat top knot, didn't like how it lathered, so I opened up the hole and installed a 28 mm knot. That's my largest synthetic brush and it is delightful.

When I want a 30 mm handle, I usually get a Whipped Dog Tall. You might check it out.
sadly it is being sized up. Crushed Mud Resin Handle #386, Manufactured by Shavemac (fits 24mm, 26mm knots) - https://apshaveco.com/products/crushed-mud-resin-handle-386-manufactured-by-shavemac-fits-24mm-26mm-knots wish he offered it in bigger sizes. I have so many plain handles so I want to get more unique ones. this one looks cool and has that omega shape I like.

Beautiful looking handle. I'm sure you will enjoy it. What are you going to do about the 30 mm knot? You may still be looking for a 30 mm handle.

Beautiful looking handle. I'm sure you will enjoy it. What are you going to do about the 30 mm knot? You may still be looking for a 30 mm handle.
undecided but I'm on cool down until holidays are over so have time. I've gotten 4 brushes once yaqi ones come from china to add to my 22 brushes.

Well, I have now discovered that Boti Brushes has their own website; looking at their Sky City and Deep Sea handles. I wonder if they'll set their own knots in those; I've read about the Motherlode knot being a thinner fiber than Cashmere (and have been reading about the Wald A1, so the idea of a brush with the same fiber thickness sounds appealing since I don't feel like spending Wald amounts of money on a brush!), so thinking of pairing the handle with a "thin" Tuxedo which is supposed to really be a Motherlode but recolored into black/white (as opposed to the thick Tuxedo, which is a standard Tuxedo knot).

Top Bottom