What's new

What is Your "Go-To" Must Have, Everyday DE Blade?

I'm be trying to find what everyone thinks is their best blade so I can make a decision but I have quickly realized that each blade reacts differently to each person. I have been wetshaving for about 3 weeks and have been using Sharks. Not too bad of a shave but found I had to go over certain areas several times. Today I switched to the notorious Feather and absolutely hated it. No weepers at all but tons of razor burn. Tomorrow I will try Astras. I guess I'll keep changing blades until I find one that suites me. I also have Blue Birds, Lords and Gillette Silver Blue in my inventory which I'll try each for the next few days. Failing that, I may purchase a sample pack or perhaps use the B&B Blade Exchange if it's still active.

I'm be trying to find what everyone thinks is their best blade so I can make a decision but I have quickly realized that each blade reacts differently to each person. I have been wetshaving for about 3 weeks and have been using Sharks. Not too bad of a shave but found I had to go over certain areas several times. Today I switched to the notorious Feather and absolutely hated it. No weepers at all but tons of razor burn. Tomorrow I will try Astras. I guess I'll keep changing blades until I find one that suites me. I also have Blue Birds, Lords and Gillette Silver Blue in my inventory which I'll try each for the next few days. Failing that, I may purchase a sample pack or perhaps use the B&B Blade Exchange if it's still active.

Greetings to Worldway! The first thing I would say is a caution about getting bogged down in blade opinions when you are new to wetshaving. I learned from my personal experience on this. Most guys take a couple months on the technique learning curve to really get a routine down with consistently good shaves. Don't think that a blade choice is going to be the answer. In my experience and IMHO, I went with the 5-brand sample pack and I was all over the place with "which blade works better" for a couple months. I even had a scientific rating system! I used: Derby, Crystal, Red Personna, Astra SP, Feather. I settled on Astra SP as the best blade for me and shunned the rest. I can now go back to any of the other blades and even generic store branded blades and truly get a good shave with any of them. So, my advice is pick any good blade (combo of sharp, comfortable, consistent) and use that blade for a month or two. After some time goes by and you really feel that your shave is dialed in, then it is interesting to try a variety of blades. I still do this.

You are spot on and that is why I framed my original question for this thread specific to opinions about choice of everyday, go-to, must have on the shelf blades. There is no best blade. As you can see from the 80+ posts thus far, there are some very good blades out there that get high ratings from many people. My hope was to use this informal poll as a checklist for some blades to try myself and better yet as a reliable suggestion list for those staring out and/or looking for some very good blades to try. So far, the community has spoken highly of Personna "lab/blue" and the "red-pack" Israeli, Gillette Silver Blue (I have yet to try those!), Polsilver SI, Feather, Astra SP, Gillette Platinum (black), Voskhod, and Perma-Sharp Super.

Apparently I'm the only one, but I'd use Bic Chrome Platinum every day until the end of time without any complaints.

Rapira SS has the right blend of sharpness, smoothness and cost for me and works well in combination with all my razors.

Polsilver Super Iridium. This is the blade that for me, works equally well in any razor. Not the sharpest, and perhaps not the smoothest out there, but having just the right amount of both to give me great shaves any time.

Gillette Super Thin New Improved Stainless is going to be my one and only blade (when I've used up all my other blades), far better performance all around than any other blade I've tried...

Top Bottom