What's new

What is Your "Go-To" Must Have, Everyday DE Blade?

We all like to look at threads for "best blade" or favorite blade recommendations. Most know there is hardly anything in Shavedom more personal and YMMV than razor blade choice. It would be interesting to know what the B&B community rates as their absolute, #1, go-to, must have, buy in bulk, everyday blade. This might be a helpful thread in general and specifically helpful to new shavers or anyone looking for high-rated blades to try.

We choose and rate blades by many criteria... sharpness, smoothness, forgiving, longevity, overall quality, and value. If you would like to cast your vote please post your blade choice and a short statement about what that blade is your "go-to" DE blade.

I will kick off by casting my vote for the Personna Super (Lab/Blue). It bumped the Astra SP as my top blade. For me, it performs well in all my razors and it is a great combination of sharp and smooth. The value at about $15/100 is excellent and I like the dispenser package.

proxy.php
proxy.php

How about you?

Last edited:
Yes, so far I agree, Gillette Platinum in all varieties. Super Silver, Platinum plus, Platinum, 7 o'clock Platinum blue, all inclusive.

Feather - Sharp, smooth and long lasting. The price is on the higher end, but similar to other quality blades.

I can't really vote on this, as I have only used 5 different blades:
  • Merkur (did not like)
  • Shark Super Stainless (not bad)
  • Gillette Wilkinson Sword (the Chinese blades. Actually, fairly nice)
  • Astra SP (So far my favorite)
  • Personna Red (One shave in a Tech, was not a huge fan)

I have in my kit several others, including Feathers, Crystals, PolSilver SI's, Shark SP, and various Gillettes.

If I had to pick from what I have used, I could be happy with Astra SP's or the Gillette Swords.

Polsilver SI is smooth, sharp and lasts a few shaves too with little in the way of wax. Fits snuggly on razor posts for better blade alignment. One of the dearer blades though but worth it.

Top Bottom