What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Is that a bit like using tiger balm?

Tiger balm seems to work in the opposite, by warming (I use it for my arthritic hands). Never tried it on my face mind, might be a bit strong (that said, I thought Vicks might be as well, but was not).

Tiger balm seems to work in the opposite, by warming (I use it for my arthritic hands). Never tried it on my face mind, might be a bit strong (that said, I thought Vicks might be as well, but was not).

That's very true. I would have thought the cold would close the pores and make it harder to shave, maybe it's the wrong kind of cold. Glad it worked for you.

Quite a few things actually. A Alum Stone (instead of the fiddly matches) are great on cuts. I learned that my new (L'Occitane) Plisson Synthetic Brush is amazing, and that shaves are always better with Haslinger Schafsmilch!
Also tried a new After Shave (TOBS Jermyn Street Lotion), smells amazing, not sure if it is any good though (only shaved a few minutes ago). Will report back if anyone is interested.

My only 2 razors are a prewar fat handle Tech and an AS-D2 and I agree with you completely. However, the AS-D2 feels better in my hand as the weight to balance ratio is really spot-on. At some point I'll experiment with some heavier handles for the Tech, but for now I'm pretty darn pleased with the damn fine shaves I get with my $12 Tech.

That is so true. There's something about the Feather that is very special. I am fortunate to have both razors in my small collection.

Thanks for posting the comparison of the pre-war Tech to the AS-D2. I think I'll refine my wishlist and start with the less expensive one. I could even afford to get one Rhodium replated most likely and be cheaper than the AS-D2.

Starting with the tech is a great idea. If you're on a budget its hard to go wrong with a tech. I got mine for $9 shipped in great condition. Sure, the finish is a little dull (plating is intact) but it shaves wonderfully

I learned that the Polsilver SI is still the best blade I have ever used.

I brought out a five pack of Rapira's that have been sitting a while and used them - Polsilver is still the king!

That I need more practice with the shavette.

Everyone who owns one needs more practice with a shavette. Seriously, I have two both offer quite a different shave experience. However, both always have that compromise underlying each shave:

The keener the blade, the better and less forgiving the shave.

Dorcos and Derby give the easiest shave I have ever known, it's almost impossible to get rashes or cuts. However, the finish leaves a lot to be desired.
On the flip side, Sharks and Feathers give a really close one. However, the slightest lack of focus (and I do mean slight) will bring the red quickly and without warning.
In the Miraki (a Dovo long bladed clone by any other name), the own brand blades are great but don't take kindly to complacency. Building up to trying some "Super feather-cut special" blades in there (made by feather - their logo appears on the end of the box). These are very rigid SE blades, the kind used in hair razors.
Said to give as close to a straight as a shavette can get, but I suspect the low tolerance for error will be zero.
Good job I like a challenge :tongue_sm

I think Personna is probably the best blade I have used so far. Closer shave, 2 nicks, but one was a pre-existing one I tried to avoid but didn't and the other was just me being silly, probably would have gotten that last one even without a blade in the razor!

TOBS Jermyn Street after shave smells amazing but not too sure how well it soothes my skin (tried the cream today)... They should have a splash one with the scent that I can put on over my normal after shave (not that I have found one I really like yet).

TOBS Jermyn Street after shave smells amazing but not too sure how well it soothes my skin (tried the cream today)... They should have a splash one with the scent that I can put on over my normal after shave (not that I have found one I really like yet).

TOBS makes several versions of the aftershave. There is a splash, a "lotion" which is a hydrating aftershave, and a cologne.

It is my favorite scent! Dunhill Desire Blue is a very similar cologne to it.

The fragrance from most soaps/croaps/creams persists for a good part of the day when using only Alum and Witch hazel as an aftershave.

Number seven shave now still a baby to De shaving maybe I should stick this on a posted note slow down.
Alsolearned the numbers on shaver blade don't mean anything.

Slow down and no pressure, I said NO Pressure! (maybe eventually I will get that into my thick head!)

Also, Bluebeards Revenge AS is quite nice, scent leaves a lot to be desired though. I suggest it should smell like TOBS Jermyn Street. Lol.

It's the Witch Hazel that adds a bit of sting I presume?

Top Bottom