What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I've been back to DE shaving for a couple weeks now and it's not exactly what I learned from my last shave but what I have to practice every shave . . . CATION: Those ASTRA SP's in my Merkur 34c are dang sharp compared to my old electric! First pass I am almost tempted to take at least one step back! but man o' man, what a shave! If I shave every day I can maintain perfection, a first in this lifetime.

Truth is I am learning not beard mapping but nick mapping. I have learned great caution around the corners of my mouth. Now I am working on my jaw line. I have lost 100 pounds over the last three years shaving with an electric. My jaw has angles I never dreamed of and it's tricky getting the razor just so to get a great shave and leave the blood where it belongs. Practice WILL make perfect, it may take a transfusion or two but I make progress with every shave. Yesterday was first no nick day!

Blair

Lat shave took a tube of Speick Shave Cream I haven't used in about a year, remembered how well it performed. This time it burned. It burned when I first put brush to face, and burned all through the shave - of course I was too stubborn to just rinse off and use something else - and left me red faced, my skin dry and tender for most of the day. I wonder if it was the open tube sitting for a year or if my skin has changed? Anyone else have a similar experience with Speick or any other cream or soap? Of course it still performed great, slick cushioned lather.

A nearly empty 20 year old tub of Crabtree & Evelyn "Sienna" cream, reduced to a thin ring of hard soap-like consistency can still give a DFS with good lather and no razor burn.

Even after a 10 minute pre-soak, it still looked like a soap, but I had one of my better shaves using it, face-lathering with a Wee Scot, and a 2nd-use Astra. The post-shave sting from the alum stick was much less than any other shave since I got the alum stick a few weeks ago.
A pity it was discontinued a few years ago, but it will encourage me to try other C&E creams or soaps.

It's not worth pushing blades past their limit.....
After a 3rd perfect shave yesterday up to the 3rd pass, I decided to try for a 4th with a Sharp Star blade
Not a bad shave, but not much fun
If there's no fun in DE shaving - there's no point DE shaving

Blades can be unpredictable. My first experience with Merkurs was not great, but after giving them another go I was hugely impressed. Then I went back to a Rapira Platinum Lux, a blade I've raved about in the past, and this one was an absolute dud.

Top Bottom