What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I am traveling this week so only took my brush and a couple of soap samples. Not wanting to have a wet brush in a plastic bag for the next 15 hours, I used my DE razor and the old Neutrogena sensitive skin shave cream I used to use.

Two things learned:

1) That particular shave cream doesn't cut for me now. Not after two months of good soaps and "real" creams. :wink2:

2) The shaves I now get keep my face smooth and looking good a long time. 20 hours after my last shave—with this morning's cream and only one pass—my face feels as good or better as any shave I got with a multi-blade cartridge.

3) I just thought of a third thing learned: I need a brush for traveling, so it can stay dry and I can leave for the airport with a DFS. :001_smile

Last edited:
Mild razors can be effective shavers for me when paired with sharp blades.

i just paired my merkur 34C with a feather blade and got an excellent shave; also the 34C gives the easiest shave i've encountered. it glides very smoothly over my face, don't have to be concerned with the agressiveness of some of my other razors.

there's always a plan B.

My new Merkur 38c is a great shaver. It is similar to the 34c, but the weight difference and length difference do make for a different shave. I love my Merkurs.

that the closeness of the shave depends on the soap/cream almost as much as the technique and that any product can deliver at least a DFS with proper technique

I learned that I like an aggressive razor a lot more than a mild one. Reason is because I can get a very close shave with fewer passes and consequently, a lot less irritation. Also far easier to blade buff hard to shave areas, like my double chin crease.

I went all Jack Black on my face last night.

First time using my new Synthetic Silver Tip JB brush and JB razor, both made by Muhle.
Also used the JB Beard lube as a pre, the JB Cooling Gel as a post, and the JB Triple Cushion cream.
I lathered up in my Turkish Hammered Copper bowl.
I used an Astra SP (for the first time).

I learned that the JB cream will not lather up as well as a Soap, even with more water, BUT, it was one of the, if not the best BBS shaves I have ever had. That stuff is slick. I could probably do about as well with a face lather. Either way, very slick stuff.

I was able to do three passes and some against the grain clean ups with zero irritation or razor burns.
It was my first shave with a Synth brush and also my first shave with an Astra SP.

Fantastic shave over all.

A blade used for 30 shaves can still give great performance!

I love Merkur razors, especially when used with Astra SP blades.

Mitchell's Wool Fat is an excellent product.

I can buff hard to shave areas without creating irritation if I use very short strokes and am sure not to lift the razor off the skin or chase perfection.

Top Bottom