What's new

First shave with my British Tech

Used my new-to-me aluminum handled British tech tonight for the first time. Loaded it with a new Astra SP and went at it as normal.

Does it make sense that it felt much more aggressive than my Merkur 34C, and my Canadian fat handled tech? The alum block had a lot more bite tonight than I usually get. I looked at the blade gap database, but am not sure where the British tech falls in there. Maybe it's in my head, but it definitely felt like it had more bite than I'm used to.

Is your Tech the one with the embossed Gillette logo on the end cap (which I think is made of pot metal)? If so, I have one of these & I also find it to be fairly aggressive for a Tech. It is probably on a par with my English flat base plate Fat Handle. The blade gap / exposure aren't anything special on my aluminium Tech, but the beveled edges on the end cap may change the shaving angle, making it more aggressive. Other than that, I also think that given the smoothness of the shave, combined with the ultra low weight of the razor, I may be applying pressure when I shave with my aluminium Tech.

Is your Tech the one with the embossed Gillette logo on the end cap (which I think is made of pot metal)? If so, I have one of these & I also find it to be fairly aggressive for a Tech. It is probably on a par with my English flat base plate Fat Handle. The blade gap / exposure aren't anything special on my aluminium Tech, but the beveled edges on the end cap may change the shaving angle, making it more aggressive. Other than that, I also think that given the smoothness of the shave, combined with the ultra low weight of the razor, I may be applying pressure when I shave with my aluminium Tech.

The logo was on the end cap at one point, but is mostly worn off, so I guess short answer is yes, mine sounds the same as yours. It seemed to give a pretty close shave, but I defintiely had more irritation than my shaves with other razors. I didn't notice myself applying more pressure than usual, but you could be right, in that the reduced weight caused me to apply more pressure without realizing it.

I'll give it another run tonight or tomorrow and take it a bit easier. Fingers crossed!

The logo was on the end cap at one point, but is mostly worn off

It sounds like you have the better, brass end cap that is laser etched with the Gillette logo. The embossed logo on my aluminium Tech's end cap would certainly not wear off in normal use, in fact it would have to be ground down if you wanted it removed.

Funny that you mention that, because it's so light I find that I'm putting more pressure than usual when using my British tech so that might be a contributing factor to the aggressiveness you're talking about

Took my Brit tech for another run tonight. Much better result, with less irritation. A few minor weepers on my neck, but definitely an improvement over my first shave with it.

Top Bottom