What's new

Removed a chip, but still not happy with the shave

I had chipped my wonderful Buca GD and after consulation, here, decided to remove that using a Chosera 1k. With the help of a loupe, I was quite successful. I then followed up with a ss 3k/8k/12k and 0.5 diamond. The shave wasn't as good as before, so I hit the 3k/8k again and it's still not great. When going back for these corrective touch-ups, should I be hitting the 1k again or just starting higher? It can shave and pass HHT decently, so I'm positive the bevel was set (especially since it already had a great bevel from Buca). Either way, I will spend much more time on the lower stones.

Define 'not great' pls.

Generally - sharpness is established at the low end of the scale.
Meaning - you honed out a chip, and while that should leave you with a good bevel, you may have caused a complication along the way.
Too much pressure, uneven pressure - etc.
Or - you didn't refine a well set bevel enough to establish the sharpness you needed.
It's hard to say exactly - without having it here in my hands we can only guess.

Did you test the bevel before moving forward?

I was hoping for some general feedback, sorry for being vague. By "not great," I meant that I can shave, but it doesn't cut as well as I would like (though I may be spoiled by using shavettes). I find that I need to use more force and I can't get as close of a shave as I would like.

I suppose what I was really asking was if in this situation, do you typically need to go back to the 1k? From your answer, it feels as though I may need to hit the 1k again, which is mainly what I was wondering. I'll definitely try less pressure as well on the way up.

Thanks so much and sorry for the open-ended question!

No prob - just wanted to know if you meant 'not sharp enough' or 'too rough' or both.

Starting at the bevel and proofing the bevel before going forward will remove doubts about that stage.
After that - it's game on to refine it further and enhance the sharpness to max - then polish.

You'll get it. Just keep at it.

No, I tested to see if it shaved arm hair and it did. Will try the TNT when I get a chance to give it another go.

Do you have a set of calipers? If so measure the angle. I found a big difference in feel when I took a GD from around the 18 deg factory bevel down to 16.5 deg.

You may have increased the bevel angle when you removed the chip and that may be the reason you don’t like your edge as much.

I'll have to look around to see if I have any, if I do I don't know if they would be that precise. I hadn't come across the caliper tip before (and I though I've read a lot about honing) - but it sounds like a great idea!

Do you have a set of calipers? If so measure the angle. I found a big difference in feel when I took a GD from around the 18 deg factory bevel down to 16.5 deg.

You may have increased the bevel angle when you removed the chip and that may be the reason you don’t like your edge as much.

How did u bring the bevel angle down?? Tape??

How did u bring the bevel angle down?? Tape??

yes, I actually taped the edge and ground on the spine. You might be able to do it without taping and just applying pressure on the spine with little or no pressure on the edge. I obviously had to set the bevel after I had the angle where I wanted.

edit.. by grinding I meant lapping on coarse (180 grit) sandpaper on a flat granite tile

Last edited:
No, I tested to see if it shaved arm hair and it did. Will try the TNT when I get a chance to give it another go.

TNT will damage an already-good edge.
It is a test to see if the bevel is set. After a positive TNT, you need to return for a few more laps on the bevel setter to clean up the TNT damage.

Top Bottom