What's new

Love @ First Sight - New 4k & 8k

Friend of mine sent these to me early last week - they showed up today and I had to lap and hone on them immediately.

I'll have a lot more to say after I get through a series of preliminary tests and edges but my first impression is:

Woah.

The 8k sorta puts my Jyunpaku back in the box and and the 6k Nub is cowering in the corner.
And - the 4k has shamed my 3k Chosera on all fronts. Seriously.

But - that's just from one quick honing. I need to really dig deeper into these two.

What I am thinking - I may have found 2 stones to replace 3. Which is always good.

The 4k is in the foreground.

$4k 8k New 1.jpg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Dang it, Gamma...I just bought a Snow White. Now I can see a new stone in my near future. Lol. Looking very forward to hearing more about these stones.

David

Dang it, Gamma...I just bought a Snow White. Now I can see a new stone in my near future. Lol. Looking very forward to hearing more about these stones. David

Don't sweat it - the SW is a great stone. I really do love that white slab. It's the only synth I've ever sold and then repurchased.

All I can tell will be told after I get all my ducks in a row.
Shouldn't take too long. Few days maybe.

I think I would be reluctant to try something unproven unless these hones have a history somewhere. Im not knocking them as I know nothing about them. Looking forward to hearing more though.

I think I would be reluctant to try something unproven unless these hones have a history somewhere. Im not knocking them as I know nothing about them. Looking forward to hearing more though.

True. Soakers? Splash and go? What are they made of? Money back guarantee? etc.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I've been contemplating changing out a few synths for a while.

After a series of emails, someone from my 'inner-circle' recommended I try these.
I hesitated because I don't really need a new 8k. I was more interested in the 4k.
But - sometimes things I don't want to do, make sense to do.... so they're both here.

I didn't think anyone here would be looking at them as something they'd want or might want to buy.
They're certainly not stones I'd recommend to anyone.

If they fit into my plan, then I'll be happy. If not - then I'll keep poking around.

So far - it's going well.

They're splash/go, no soaking.

Still testing - i've been honing on them since 8 AM.
I'm kinda tired and need to sift through some notes and loupe this last edge.

Thanks. I was wondering because of the "They're certainly not stones I'd recommend to anyone." statement.

That didn't come out quite right I guess - mostly, what I was referring to was that they're not often seen outside of Japan, plus there are only three stones (I think) in the series; 1k, 4k and 8k. I'm waiting to find out about the 1k.
I might get a few sets sent over if the 1k works out but it depends on shipping costs.

So they're not the type of stone-set that I'd go recommending openly.

That didn't come out quite right I guess - mostly, what I was referring to was that they're not often seen outside of Japan, plus there are only three stones (I think) in the series; 1k, 4k and 8k. I'm waiting to find out about the 1k.
I might get a few sets sent over if the 1k works out but it depends on shipping costs.

So they're not the type of stone-set that I'd go recommending openly.

http://shoei-do.net/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=5&sort=20a&page=2

They got 800/1000/1200,

Is this the japanese version of the homestone/workstone?

greets Sebastian.

Those have Gouken on the box, but with somewhat different types of boxes/naming/labeling - not sure if those are from the exact same series or not.
They could be similar or the same series as what I have here - or they could be something else. Naniwa makes a lot of stones - many of which we don't get to see too often.

I do know the stones I have here aren't work/home stone equivalents though.

The box pic of the alleged same-series 1k I saw was markedly different than those above or the ones I have.

So...all the love is gone?

No comprende

Nice box designs! I'm salivating just looking at them.

The boxes are quite nice - a step up from any other Nani box I've had.
The stones themselves are exceedingly good for me thus far. I"m very pleased with them.
With 8 edges and 2 full shaves done - I'm more convinced these 2 are staying put.

I have one doubt that I have to put to rest, The edge I'm about to finish should take care of that with tomorrow morning's shave.
Normally - I shave at night but my schedule has changed a bit this week so daytime shaves are in order.

No comprende

The boxes are quite nice - a step up from any other Nani box I've had.
The stones themselves are exceedingly good for me thus far. I"m very pleased with them.
With 8 edges and 2 full shaves done - I'm more convinced these 2 are staying put.

I have one doubt that I have to put to rest, The edge I'm about to finish should take care of that with tomorrow morning's shave.
Normally - I shave at night but my schedule has changed a bit this week so daytime shaves are in order.

Ah, nevermind, I thought you had changed your mind about your first opinion of the stones.

Top Bottom