What's new

Thorogood vs Red Wings

So I am in the market for a pair of moccasin toe boots because I just got my tax refund and I want a pair of boots that will last years and years. I am getting black leather boots. The redwings are made out of bridle leather and the thorogood are made out of horse hide. Sole redwing is made by them, thorogood is vibram. Lace rivets are all rivets on the redwings, and thorogood has hooks aswell which I prefer. I don't know if thorogood does in house repairs though? What do you guys recommend? I will be wearing these boots for years doing everyday task, hiking, labor and for riding when I get a motorcycle. I just want a pair of boots that will be around 8-10 years from now. Thank you

what are your opinions about these company's. I want a good boot but spending 250 plus is hard for me to justify but if enough people tell me good things about either company my opinions could be swayed. Either way they are both made in America :)

Last edited:
If it's the crepe sole for the red wings they're extremely comfortable, won't mark stuff up, and you can walk very very quietly. However, it wears out fairly quickly, and doesn't have very good traction in the mud/snow. (because of that you won't track stuff in as easily either too)

I've not had the Thorogood, but I've heard they're pretty decent boots. For what' you're wanting I think the Thorogoods would fit better. Though honestly I love my 855's which I wear spring/summer/fall. I have a pair of Danner Marine boots to augment me through the winter. Honestly if you can I'd try them both on and see what fits the best.

I have a pair of Red Wing Heritage shoes (think of them as low cut boots) and I love them. The craftsmanship is amazing. I've had them about 4-5 month and they're great.

I'm more of a dress shoe guy, and I can tell you great dress shows are amazing. They last and last and for about $100 you get them resoled. And that's what you'll be able to do with the Red Wings. This is a boot that could last you the rest of your life.

Try Amazon.com, Zappos, or Shoes.com and get both pairs. Do a search on Red Wings on B&B, and you'll get advice. My understanding is that they're uncomfortable at first, and after a week or two they feel great. I bought mine a little too big, so mine were never uncomfortable.

$250 really isn't that much. Thorogoods are much cheaper, but when I did my research, I found out they have lots of fans too. Check out Amazon.com for the reviews.

BTW, I have a pair of Danners. I've had them for 10+ years and use them in the snow and for backpacking. They are by far the best boots I've ever had. They are so comfortable and still look brand new.

I've had the 875's and Thorogood crepe sole boots. Quality is very close. The deciding factor should be which fits you best. I have narrow feet, and the RW 875's don't come in narrow, so the Thorogoods won out. I could never get the right fit with 875's and a million different sock combinations, but the quality was great.

Ive heard good things about Thorogood...but I love my Redwing heritage boots. Try both and see what fits you best. Can't go wrong with either.

If the fit is equally good in both pairs, I'd go for the one with the Vibram sole. After fit, a boot's sole is my main concern.

I really don't have access to trying on thorogoods but I think I am going to go with them due to price point and it seems like they are a good company! Does anyone know any good cobblers so I know down the road. I am just looking to get nice shoes I am tired of buying throw away shoes like I have all my life! Thank you for all the advice and insight. What would u recommend for a full polishing kit or care kit the saying their is more then one way to skin something comes to mind a lot with leather care. I have a pair of brown boots that I polish periodically any one have a tried and true method for care of black leather without making it look shiny?

If you're going with Thorogood (at that price), check out Chippewa and Danner. Do a google search, and you'll find Contractor's forums where Contractor's talk about their boots, like this:

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f14/carolina-boots-16446/

And I still suggest buying 2-3 pairs and returning the ones that don't fit Amazon and Zappos do that, and they don't charge for shipping either way. The fit and craftsmanship of the more expensive shoe may be worth it. If you're plan is to keep them forever (which you could do), what's $50 if the fit is much better.

You already decided you wanted quality. Don't pinch pennies... get the best. You've decided on several brands where you're paying for quality shoes, not some designers' name. Just my 2 cents.

I have never even heard of thorogood boots until now. So I would have to recommend Redwing boots. I have a pair of 953's that has lasted 14 years so far on the same sole. Now I don't wear them every day and rarely in summer so I don't put a lot of mileage on them. Supersole is good and durable. Took a little to break in but now they fit like second skin. I would check to see how much it costs to have both brands resoled from German. Here in Canada its about $150. That may sway you in your decision. If you are looking at steel toe it will be colder in winter. I have a pair of steel toe HH Brown parade boots that are darn cold in winter. Also the steel toe does not breath. So overheating may be an issue.
My Two cents worth.
Johnny

Sorry about the necro-post but I thought I would add some experienced-based info for you.
I don't know what your specific requirement is, but I'm a contractor and do my own carpentry.
I buy a new pair of boots about every 6 months or so, when they get worn to where you see them in the pics, sometimes even further.
I had Redwings years ago and happily switched to Thorogood, which I feel are superior. However, my latest boots are Redwings that I found on Craigslist new for $80, so I couldn't pass up the deal. Those are the ones you see here, about 5 months in.
Both soles wear roughly the same. You can see my walking stride by the wear patterns, although some of it is due to my heel rubbing when I drive.
You can see the differences in construction. The RW's wrap the foot all the way around, and the TG's have a "spat" down to the heel.
The RW's in the pic don't have an ankle roll because I cut the tops off, as I don't like an 8" boot. 6" is what I prefer.
The TG's leather is far more durable and the finish does not rough up as easy as the RW's. Also, the construction allows the toe to bend easier and moves more naturally with your foot. The actual construction is of a higher quality on the TG's boots, with more consistent stitching, and cleaner leather cuts. TG's footbed feels much better to me, as I wear boots bare, with no insoles. My socks are always Merino wool, and 90% of the time they are just the REI lightweight sock liners. The grey ones.
The lacing on the RW's are more difficult than the TG's. I prefer the speed lacing in the morning when I'm gearing up, and of course it's better for the quick removal of the occasional hitchhiker.
But yea, I was a die-hard Redwing Guy in the 80's to about the 2000's, and found these boots just beat them in all catagories.
As for price, you can't get out the door with Redwings for less than 270 bucks, but you can get the Thorogoods shipped from ebay for less that $140.
Hopefully that helps.
Brent.

$photo 2.jpg$photo 1.jpg$photo 3.jpg

Top Bottom