What's new

Sacramento CA area meet up - gauging interest

As I said give me a date and time and place. It will just be me solo as my brother works most weekends in San Fran.

My kamisori dojo is open this next Friday & Saturday June 6-7 if anyone is interested. I have one person stopping by from Montana for Friday get together but I can fit up to 4 in my shop which contains a sharpening bench and a microscope and lots and lots of stones to try. I am still interested in the Sacramento Meet Up. A meal is fine, is there a show and tell or any actual honing going on? Mid to late July if fine.
Alex in Sonoma.

I was hoping that some show and tell items show up. I hadn't planned on arranging any kind of demonstration or specific activity. My thoughts were for a casual get together with some likely show and tell. I would imagine items for sale or trade may also show up. I'm not oposed if anyone wants to give a lesson in honing or if there is some sharing of honing techniques.
Other than sharpening a pocket knife, I haven't sharpened or honed anything before. I would like to see how it's done. I only have western straights, but would be interested in learning about kamisoris.

That would be awesome, Alex. Thank you. Sorry this has kind of been a drawn out ordeal. We are almost there. I would like to set a date for Saturday, July 19th. I have spoken with Sam's Hof Brau and so far the banquet room is available from 10:30-4:00. There is no charge for the banquet room if we support the restaurant (ie if you're hungry order food and drink). There is information online at www.thehofbrau.com which includes directions and menu with prices.
I was thinking noon or 1:00 might be a good time. It would give out of towers a bit of leeway for drive time. Feel free to bring show and tell items or whatever you like. I'm exited about Alex's offer for a demo. I have seen some YouTube videos and look forward to the real life version. Please let me know input on time. I will use that input to book the room at the end of the week. Any other last minute suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pete

I'm interested. I haven't chimed in earlier because I have been out of California since April 23rd. I should be returning late June and I should be able to make the July meet. I haven't even started SR's yet but by the time of the meet I should hopefully have a few attempts under my belt. At this point learning to refresh a SR would be of great help.

Mike

Pete
Likewise, date July 19th at lunch time is good for me, I will come hungry.

Alex
Whenever Sam's is part of the trip I make sure I'm hungry. Their pastrami "sam'wich" on a Kaiser roll is really good. I will call and confirm the banquet room tomorrow morning after work. I'm going to rummage through the computer room because I think my wife has some of those snazzy "Hello My Name Is:" stickers.

I left a message at Sam's to confirm the banquet room. If I don't get a call back today I will call them again this afternoon. I'm going to reserve the room from noon until 4pm. That will give us 3 hours for our get together with an hour before hand for disorganization and early birds. I have been in communication with Alex (alx gilmore) regarding the demonstration that he is going to do for us. He is a stand up guy and I think all will enjoy what he has to share with us regarding bevel setting. Please bring any razors that you would like to see under a microscope.

Please feel free to bring a friend or significant other if you would like. We all joke about our significant other being a hindrance to our shaving. My thoughts on the matter are that maybe letting them see that there are other gentleman that appreciate a quality shave may help them to understand that the guy at home isn't just some weirdo. If you know someone who might be interested in our little hobby, bring them along. There should be enough of us there to hog tie them until they submit to joining our ranks.

I'm going to get a few things together, so we can have a little raffle (free). I can't make any guarantees that it will be anything awesome. Maybe it will be a chunk of Klar Kabinett, homemade shaving soap, and/or other soap samples. Depending on how much time, and success, I have on the lathe there might even be a wooden shaving bowl.

The banquet room is booked for Saturday July 19th from 1-4 pm. We can go into the banquet room early unless there is an active meeting going on. I gave a rough estimate of 10-15 people based on earlier responses in this thread. I'm not sure how many of you are still able to make it. The room holds 60, so I doubt we will have a problem. She did say that if a large party (her example was 40 people) wants to rent the room, then they may accommodate us in a roped off area of the main restaurant to accommodate both parties. I don't think this will be a problem even on the remote chance that it happens.

Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns.
Pete

PGrevie...just set a date and location and we will show up if we can make it. Hopefully this will be the first of many such gatherings! If you wait for us all to come to a consensus, it will never happen. Just select a date which works for you and a location serving adult beverages and watch what happens! Thanks for being the sparkplug on getting us together!
Pogeybait

The date and time has been set. The banquet room at Sam's Hof Brau has been reserved. The room has been reserved from 1-3 pm. There isn't a problem with showing up early as long as the room has not been reserved before us. There is another party using the room at 4:30 so we will need to be out by 4. Please feel free to bring someone with you. Significant others are welcome to join. I don't think my wife is going to go. I have two friends that may come with me. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to start a list to get a rough idea of how many people are planning on attending.

Just copy the list to a post and add your name. If you're not sure if you're going to attend, just put a question mark after your name.

1. Pgrevie +2

The date and time has been set. The banquet room at Sam's Hof Brau has been reserved. The room has been reserved from 1-3 pm. There isn't a problem with showing up early as long as the room has not been reserved before us. There is another party using the room at 4:30 so we will need to be out by 4. Please feel free to bring someone with you. Significant others are welcome to join. I don't think my wife is going to go. I have two friends that may come with me. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to start a list to get a rough idea of how many people are planning on attending.

Just copy the list to a post and add your name. If you're not sure if you're going to attend, just put a question mark after your name.

1. Pgrevie +2
2. KNLGSKR + 1

Even if someone can't attend it might be an idea to post interest in future gatherings. I hope this isn't a one and only gathering. Sorry you can't make it 72.

Top Bottom