What's new

Unusable Blades?

1. Wilkinson, 2. Merkur, both from Germany. It's interesting - Germany produces world known razors but concerning blades they make me not happy ..

That is a difficult question, as the "best blade / worst blade" is a YMMV (or YKMV for metric people). I have tried the following brands:
Feather
Lord Platinum
Lord Stainless Steel
Derby
Gillette Yellow 7 O'-Clock
Astra Blue
Astra Green
Personna Lab Blue
Wilkinson Sword

The worst for me were Astra Green, and the best Feather, Lord Platinum and Derby.
My worst are the favourites of several, so it depends on the user.
Hence the good idea of sample packs.

I have another "unusable" blade for the list, Comoy Carbon Steel Professional. This was another blade that does nothing but pull on your hair but doesn't actually cut.

I then followed up with a Merkur Super and almost had a BBS shave (best shave yet). This blade seems to get so much bad press, but for me its quite nice. Just proves YMMV

Super-Max Stainless Vidyut - skewed, could not load my R41 - holes were wrong-cut, so it was not possible even to try them. Had 3 packs, all the same.

SuperMax Blue Diamond - these things always cut me up really bad. Some people like them, but they're the only blade I've used where I've had to say "never again"!

SuperMax Blue Diamond - these things always cut me up really bad. Some people like them, but they're the only blade I've used where I've had to say "never again"!

A true case of YMMV - Blue Diamonds are my absolute favourite DE blade :)

The worst blades I've ever tried are Laser.

There are a bunch of blades out there that I think are basically substandard and lousy, but one of the very worst I have ever used was the + Platinum that was made or distributed by Club Blade back in the late 1960s to early 1970s. I might be able to swing one full-shave on those blades if I had several hours to shave like a brain surgeon with tremors.

Merkur
Timor
Bolzano
Shark SS
Dorco (301 IIRC)

To name just a few.

So far your worst list looks like my top list...

I have just tried a Bolzano and had a great shave with it.

Merkur yesterday was also brilliant on its 3rd shave.

Sharks were one of my first favourites and 301s are up there on my good list too.

I haven't seen a Timor yet, but if I see one it might just be great for me.

Flying Eagle was the only one for me that I just couldn't shave with. It was completely unusable. After the first painful pass I had to switch to another blade to cut all of the stubble that the Flying Eagle didn't manage to pull out root and all.

The Derby blade (which I don't care for at all) seems like a top notch blade when compared to the Flying Eagle.

Flying Eagle was the only one for me that I just couldn't shave with. It was completely unusable. After the first painful pass I had to switch to another blade to cut all of the stubble that the Flying Eagle didn't manage to pull out root and all.

The Derby blade (which I don't care for at all) seems like a top notch blade when compared to the Flying Eagle.

+1 This is what I mean by unusable. Not just that its not nice or good, but it doesn't actually function as a blade that can be shaved with.

+1 on anything Chinese.

Any consumer product I have tried with Chinese steel is poor quality. Screws strip, bolts break off and a hammer head literally fell apart while driving a finishing nail. Razor blades are no exception. Dull, dirty and rough describe every Chinese made blade I have tried.

1. Wilkinson, 2. Merkur, both from Germany. It's interesting - Germany produces world known razors but concerning blades they make me not happy ..

Re Merkur: as long as I do not use a Merkur razor, I agree. It's weird, but they only seem to work in Merkur razors.

WS blades are unpredictable for me. They seem pretty decent until out of the blue the blade seems to stumble and I get a nick or worse. Therefore, they are unusable to me. I do not trust them.

Top Bottom