What's new

Unusable Blades?

I have seen plenty of posts here on the "worst" blades etc, but these all seem pretty subjective (some people love/hate derby's etc)

What I would like to know are what blades are not just Bad, but truly unusable, and should not be considered at any price.

I'll start the ball rolling and say "Flying Eagle" (Black/carbon?) blades. I could not get through one stroke.

Another I have seen from other posts is the Lanfei.

Any others?

I have yet to find a blade that is completely unusable for my face. I use to think that maybe shark dorco st-301's but after pairing them with a good protective soap like mikes they work fine every time.

I have yet to find a blade that is completely unusable for my face. I use to think that maybe shark dorco st-301's but after pairing them with a good protective soap like mikes they work fine every time.

I have blades I know will be unusable. China made blades.

Tried a Nanjie blade yesterday in a British Gillette Tech, it was terrible (way too much tugging, dull blades...), after 2 inches of trying to shave a 3 day growth I put in a Polsilver Super Iridium and had a great shave. Thankfully I only had one of them.

Tried a Nanjie blade yesterday in a British Gillette Tech, it was terrible (way too much tugging, dull blades...), after 2 inches of trying to shave a 3 day growth I put in a Polsilver Super Iridium and had a great shave. Thankfully I only had one of them.

The lucky Bad Blades 2 PIF winner that received this blade might want to see this warning :)

I have blades I know will be unusable. China made blades.

Never tried Chinese blades, although I hear of many people using the Thai gillette super thins (manufactured in Shanghai, China from my research) with good results.

Last edited:
Gillette Salon blades (Indian) are bad - rough and er... rough. Derby not far behind which don't nick but they are akin to tweezers in trying to pull hairs out.

Here's my flying eagle that should be avoided..

Ales tried a Sheng Long blade today (it came with a $2 razor)

While the blade was not "unusable", it actually didn't do anything.
No hair was cut, just a feeling like dragging a blunt kitchen knife over your face.

The Sheng Long razor is however usable, probably a bit more aggressive than my 40's uk ball end tech.

Attachments

• $WIN_20140416_071654.JPG
    $WIN_20140416_071654.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 263
  • $WIN_20140309_225008.JPG
    $WIN_20140309_225008.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 264
NOS Gillette Thin blade. Untouched, looked pristine. Thought it would be great in a '57 Flare Tip. Felt like I dragged a fork across my face. Changed midshave, took a day to heal.
One of the worst blades ever.

$Thin.jpg

Top Bottom