What's new

Why do you continue?

Hello Gents,

Now I know there have been threads like this before here, but I am curious:

1. Why did you start wet shaving?

2. What drew you to wet shaving?

3. If you know you are not saving money wet shaving, why do you continue?

Hello Gents,

1. I grow a beard, and cart razors irritated my face.
2. The variety of options
3. i actually do save money

Last edited:
1. Supposedly to save money :), because I was getting horrible shaves from carts and I hated shaving

2. An art of shaving store in vegas

3. It's 10 times better of a shave than what I got from disposables

1. I shave either to a goatee and 'tache or fully because my beard looks pretty untidy when let loose to grow

2. I was drawn to straight and DE shaving due to the ludicrous price of cartridges and never findinig an electric that didn't tear my face up.

3.My shaving purchases are fairly few and far between beyond blades and given that I could only get a couple of shaves from each cart I do save money even with the odd soap purchase here and there.

Last edited:
Carts were messing up my neck, I liked having a sharp blade that didn't cost an arm and a leg (regardless of accessory costs), and I found the ritual more interesting and quite honestly, fun.

Hello Gents,

1. Always been drawn to old-school things, still remember James Bond in Goldfinger using a Gillette Adjustable

2. Same as above

3. I get great shaves, and absolutely love the experience

Hello Gents,

1. I too am drawn to antique and vintage thing, so it just looked cool

2. It just seemed like a good thing to do

3. Well, you know, you gotta feed the monkey, man

1. I hated shaving do to the carts mutilating my face. I tried so many shaving creams to help the blade glide over my skin but didn't find one. So I started to dry shave, water only. Believe it or not it helped a little.

2. I seen a commercial with Rich Harrison from Pawn Stars. I then remembered how clean a few of my uncles looked after shaving with a DE.

3. Well if I would have stayed with my game plan and just bought blades and soaps when I needed them I would have saved Mula.. BUUUTT!! After viewing some of the shaving dens and collectables some of you guys have, I got hooked. So now I have realized I don't save money, but that's ok. I love to shave now, I love the baby smooth feeling I have on my face, I love that my wife loves to touch my face and is in to this as bad as I am. Life is good when your shave is good.

Hello Gents,

1. Save money and I had really bad irritation on my neck n lots of ingrown hairs.
2. Tradition, range of products, skill.
3. I probably still save a small amount but mainly because the irritation has gone so has the ingrown hairs. Skin feels better too.

Hello Gents,

1) I wandered into an AoS store.
2) At first it was there smells of some of the products and then it was the amazement that what had been an absolute loathsome chore had turned into a daily ritual that I look forward to each and every day.
3) Because it feels so d@#n good!

Hello Gents,

1- My wife wanted me to shave more often.

2- Shiny razors.

3- It's all lies, there's no way you can save money unless you only have one razor, one blade brand, one soap and one brush. :tongue_sm

Last edited:
1. Got a link to this site from a kilt site, and found an empire razor at home.
2. Had to be better than carts.
3. Saving money was never the issue. I continue because I like it

I started wet shaving because that was how I was taught as a teenager;

I stopped using cartridges, and started using a DE because the former gave me irritation and in-grown hairs which resulted in me dreading the morning shave;

It's not about the money for me.

1. Most people in the UK wet shave, it is not a dry shave nation. All of my family wet shave unless they suffer from the facial fungus.
2. As above
3. It's only money, and I always find a bargain....

Hello Gents,

My dad was an electric razor shaver and advised me to be the same but I couldn't accept the poor results. For the next 40 years I switched between them and wetshaving with a multiblade razor, which I found uncomfortable and often unsatisfactory. In early 2010 I bought new blades for my electric, which lost their sharpness in a week and new Gillette Fusion cartridges, which lasted a few days as opposed to several weeks when I started using them.

I got so fed up that I looked for an alternative way to shaving. I stumbled on an article called "The Zen of Shaving" (see link in my signature) which led me here and the rest was history. The DE razor solved my problems but I was captivated by straights, which I learned and have been using for the most part ever since.

Last edited:
1. Fascination with older, more simpler times. Wanted to shave the way Grandpa did

2. The myriad options available so you can really find what's best for you.

3. I'm saving money in the sense that the purchases are investments that'll last a while. I only have 2 razors and two brushes though, so I think my margins are a little easier for me to cope with.

Top Bottom