What's new

Preparing to shave with gel, then water, then gel?

I'm interested in wetting the face hairs as quickly and thoroughly as possible. I use Gillette shaving gel.

My understanding is that an alkaline (high pH) face wash or gel will make the hair's cuticle swell and this let's in water which is what does the softening.

The face washes I use tend to have a near-neutral pH, so would it be better to do this:

(1) Apply shaving gel, which is quite alkaline, BEFORE washing. That would open up the hairs' cuticle.

(2) Wash off the shaving gel and leave the face wet with just water for a minute or two. That would soften the hair shaft.

(3) Re-apply shaving gel to use as a lubricant. Shave with this.

Is this back-to-front approach viable?

Evidence on this is scanty and inconclusive.

The best way to prep the hair is a warm shower. Alternatively, use a traditional shaving product, lather up with warm water and let it sit on the face for a few minutes. Gels presumably have lower water content so would be less effective in this regard.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Give it a try and if you think it works, and you enjoy it, then stick with it 👍 In my experience, pre shave products, pre shave showering, and even wetting the face before lathering makes no difference at all. That is what works for me, but of course what is important is here is what works for you.

If you instead of using face wash you use a regular true bar soap you will have an alkaline wash. All true soaps are between pH of 8-10 and this also includes shave soap. Like previous posters have suggested. Try a shave soap and a brush. It will do all of that for you.

Top Bottom