What's new

Lovely Old Fashioned Shave

I gave myself a wonderful old fashioned shave tonight. I was sitting in my living room on a cold Connecticut night, stroking five days of uncomfortable, out-of-character growth, and figured I should do something about it before I went to bed. I didn't want to take a shower, my typical pre-shave, because it's awfully cold out, and I know I have to take the dog out one more time.

So I heated up a wash cloth under a scalding tap, and applied it to my face for a couple of minutes. Then I rubbed in some Proraso Red preshave, and re-applied a hot wet wash cloth for a few more minutes. I then lathered up with some Proraso Red soap - an old favorite I haven't used for some time - and enjoyed rubbing it in and letting it further soften up my scraggly face.

For the shave I re-visited a couple of items I haven't used in a few years. A Persona Red blade - they used to be called Israelis. I'm not sure if they are still popular or even available, but they are fine blades. I put one in my Merkur Progress, and opened it up to "5" because I had some chopping to do.

I lathered up the Proraso with a synthetic brush. I know I've been talkin" old school, but those synthetics feel great and sure are easy to use. My first pass was pretty easy, considering the Brillo scruff I was chopping through.

I lathered up a second time, toned down the Progress to 3.5, and gently glided over my face one more time.

After a cold water splash, I further cooled things down with a Nivea Post Shave rub down and a final Proraso Red splash of after-shave.

It's night. After a good night's sleep, no one at work will notice the wonderful shave I had the previous night.

But I'll know. It was lovely.

I hope your next shave is just as enjoyable.

I enjoyed reading your story and I sort of enjoyed a nostalgia shave this morning too. Thank you for prompting me to share.

When I started shaving at 15 I was given an old Erskine badger brush that once belonged to my grandfather. It had already been passed down to my dad and older brother and was already in less than prime shape when i got it. Soon after, I bought an Old Spice mug. For many years I used that combination. When the brush started fading away I replaced it with a drug store Surrey boar. Over the years I would still occasionally use the Erskine and replace the Surrey from time to time when it wore out. Years later I tried to buy another badger brush but could not find them. Finally I noticed a shop in Paris with a window full of badger brushes, but I was unable to stop. That finally prompted me to do an internet search where I discovered Badger and Blade and learned where to find badger brushes as well as reknot and make them.

I reknotted my grandfather's brush with a nice 20 mm silvertip from Whipped Dog. It is an extremely enjoyable brush.

But today I shaved with another Erskine that i found on ebay a few years ago. It is nearly identical to my grandfather's brush but still in reasonable original condition. I shaved with some new old stock Old Spice soap in a mug that was similar to my original one. The brush and the soap both worked wonderfully. Really brings back memories. I did use modern cartridge razors though. I finished off with Old Spice After Shave. You know the stuff. The one that says if my grandfather had not have worn it, you would not have been born.

I gave myself a wonderful old fashioned shave tonight. I was sitting in my living room on a cold Connecticut night, stroking five days of uncomfortable, out-of-character growth, and figured I should do something about it before I went to bed. I didn't want to take a shower, my typical pre-shave, because it's awfully cold out, and I know I have to take the dog out one more time.

So I heated up a wash cloth under a scalding tap, and applied it to my face for a couple of minutes. Then I rubbed in some Proraso Red preshave, and re-applied a hot wet wash cloth for a few more minutes. I then lathered up with some Proraso Red soap - an old favorite I haven't used for some time - and enjoyed rubbing it in and letting it further soften up my scraggly face.

For the shave I re-visited a couple of items I haven't used in a few years. A Persona Red blade - they used to be called Israelis. I'm not sure if they are still popular or even available, but they are fine blades. I put one in my Merkur Progress, and opened it up to "5" because I had some chopping to do.

I lathered up the Proraso with a synthetic brush. I know I've been talkin" old school, but those synthetics feel great and sure are easy to use. My first pass was pretty easy, considering the Brillo scruff I was chopping through.

I lathered up a second time, toned down the Progress to 3.5, and gently glided over my face one more time.

After a cold water splash, I further cooled things down with a Nivea Post Shave rub down and a final Proraso Red splash of after-shave.

It's night. After a good night's sleep, no one at work will notice the wonderful shave I had the previous night.

But I'll know. It was lovely.

I hope your next shave is just as enjoyable.
Just a great read!
Nicely done. I greatly enjoyed reading it. You captured an old fashioned shave so well.

Top Bottom