What's new

Why do you continue?

1. Why did you start wet shaving? - Intrigued by the Rick Harrison Micromatic commercial. Did some web surfing, lurked here for a while, signed on, bought a few vintage Gillettes and shaving stuff and off to the races.

2. What drew you to wet shaving? - Learning a traditional "guy" craft and doing something we all have to do, but with a personal twist.

3. If you know you are not saving money wet shaving, why do you continue? - Because it's cool!! I have tried to moderate spending. Own 14 razors, but have made enough buying and selling others to cover 100% of this cost. So, my only cost is blades, soaps, brush and I just have to stop there. Have probably 12-18 month supply of software, so I am probably a rare person here who MAY save some $$ wet shaving. Time will tell.

1. Wanted a closer shave than electrics and cartridges caused irritation.

2. The variety of options, style of razors.

3. I'm still hoping that eventually I'll stop looking for new razors/brushes and just buy new blades/soaps/creams when needed.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Hello Gents,

Now I know there have been threads like this before here, but I am curious:

1. Why did you start wet shaving?

2. What drew you to wet shaving?

3. If you know you are not saving money wet shaving, why do you continue?
1. Curiousity; My Dad used electrics. I used a Gillette Tech in the Army in the 1960s, bought a Gillette SS black handle in 1967.
2. The quality of razors, the tradition and history compared to plastic. Previous generations were right!
3. Price of this hobby can be low compared to others. The change from chore to pleasure and pride in the skill; The luxury of lather.

Hello Gents,

I started wet shaving because the price of carts were getting outrageous and I couldn't make them last despite my best efforts drying them off after use.

The price of having sharp blades for regular use was significantly cheaper.

I continue because it's about the same price for me and I get to use better equipment. To too it all off, it's fun and I get much better shaves. Carts ruined my neck every time I shaved. Now I get a irritation free shave every time if I do my part and try not to get greedy :)

1. I started DE shaving because years of shaving with carts and electric razors had turned the process into an unsatisfying chore.

2. What drew me to DE shaving was trying out an old Tech and some Jewel blades that had been left to me as a keepsake when my Father-in Law passed, the experience was an absolute epiphany.

3. I save money as against carts, I lose as against electric, but the enjoyment I get from a quality razor, beautifully scented creams and soaps, and the 'me' time it buys me is worth every last penny.

- Multi-blade carts were causing skin issues. Remembered my dad's cool old razor, found out how cheap DE blades were.

- I'd been shaving with soap instead of cans long before finding Badger &Blade site. Just sort of figured it out on my own. I have a real shaving brush now though. That is new.

- I am saving money. I have a nice little collection of razors, and I'll try something new once in awhile, but I don't go overboard with product. Cheaper blades in combination with being good at ebay means I've saved quite a bit of money actually.

1. I've been wet shaving all my life, Dad started me off with a cartridge and brush for lather but he didn't use creams, just good old basin soap. I did this for many years then switched to canned cream and kept up with the contemporary razor armed race. It was purely all functional and was none the wiser to history, DE's or aftershaved (thought the only range was what was available at the supermarket. Always secretly longing for a niche institution of products catering for the gentleman but never the wiser.

2. Sometime at work mentioned the old style of things and thought he was just obsessive over a hobby that functionally would make no difference to the result. A persistent bombardment and satire of his secret ways (in my style of heckling and lampooning :) revealed a defense that was strong and did not crumble. So I thought I'd try the DE to see if it was better. I was surprised to discover the shave was closer than a cart and was hooked immediately. I dusted off my Dad's old brush, armed myself with tradition and history and began building a Arsenal of creams, blades and aftershaves.

3. The cost is insignificant given the enjoyment and quite honestly alot cheaper than say my friend who's fishing pursuits have totaled about 200K to date ! You will find it easy to convert others as every man has a yearning to be a gentleman par excellence

1. To save money because I was tired of the cost of disposable carts and never liked electrics. And it seemed to me Gillette cheapened old blades (like Mach III) to encourage people to trade up to the new systems.
2. The old time feel of it. I also found a watch I wind by hand and a fountain pen. It's my way of backing away from the nonstop world we live in today.
3. DE shaving is a hobby, and I fin dip the whole wet shave process to be quite enjoyable and relaxing.
All of the above, except my watch is self winding by motion, hate batteries!

Hello Gents,

1. Like most of the guys here, I switched from carts because of bad shaves, irritation, ingrowns, and the ridiculous cost for cheap garbage.

2. The potential for a better shave, lower cost. Plus, it's classy and nostalgic.

3. Excluding the initial start-up cost and a splurge one weekend when I was on a roll at an antique store, I actually haven't spent much money. Even with initial expense and that splurge included, I am still not far above what I would have spent on new cartridges, canned goo, and "sensitive skin" skin care products.

I retired. My life changed. The in-the-shower-Mach-3-before-work routine was nasty and unnecessary.

I used a Fatboy for twenty years +/-, c. 1961-1982, and I used a brush and soap always.

Then in February, I moved into a brand-new affordable apartment - there are advantages to being an old goat - and I decided to get back to the pleasures I remembered from wet-shaving with my old Fatboy. So I bought one, gulping a bit at the price. Then I had my 45-year-old brush reknotted by Larry at Whipped Dog.

My bathroom is huge, really, with a giant sink counter, so I have spent way too much on various soaps, creams, balms, and aftershaves, and I'm glad. All the product looks great lined up. What was a chore is now a pleasant, almost zen-like few minutes devoted to looking good and smelling great.

Hello Gents,

I started wet shaving for a combination of reasons, but the biggest one was it was a small way for me to honor my dad after he passed away. He shaved this way for years, until he couldn't do it any longer because of vision problems then switched to an electric. He passed away in October, and I had always thought it would be cool to shave with a DE so finally did so earlier this year. I can say for sure that I am not saving money, I could if I took a more minimal approach like I did with carts, but I enjoy the different soaps and creams. I haven't fallen for RAD or BAD, but SAD is what got me early on. I have enough soaps and creams to last a couple years at least. Yet I keep wet shaving because it really is so much more enjoyable for me. Shaving used to be a chore, now it's one of my favorite parts of the day. No turning back for me.

1. I started wet shaving when my electric razor stopped working.
2. I started wet shaving with carts first then changed to double edge razors.
3. I actually do save money. I have enough shaving hardware to last 2-3 years.

I recently bought a box of 100-count double edge razor blades for $12.00. Add this to my other razor blades I have around 200 razor blades. Short of buying shaving soaps on an as needed basis I have nothing else to buy for the next 2-3 years. The total money I've spent so far on my entire setup is around $140.00. I would easily spend that amount of money in one year in carts. Those carts are not cheap.

Last edited:
I started because my Norelco always missed a spot or two and I was sick of it. I tried a Fusion and found it just awful. Then I landed on this site and bought the basic VDH kit and I was hooked. I used that with some disposable razors, then stepped up to an EJ89 later. Soon I had several soaps, creams, and brushes, and was finally getting what I was after in the first place: a reliably decent shave. I never cared about the money, I just wanted a good shave. What keeps me doing it? Still getting good shaves.

Scott

I always wetshaved, and probably saved lots of money over the years.

About traditional wetshaving, do you really think that razors made from "aircraft grade aluminium" or "machined from stainless steel" are traditional? That sounds pretty modern to me.

Traditional wetshaving, for me, would be using vintage products, or at least the products that were available to our (grand)dads. Boar brush, shave stick, vintage Tech or Super Speed, alum block, and drugstore AS.

What most B&Bers do is "hobby shaving", imo, and not really traditional. Fortunately not, because there is much more choice in our time!

I take your point on the modern razor, however badger brushes have likely been around as long as boar, MWF has been made since 1893, and D R Harris have been going since 1790.

I take your point on the modern razor, however badger brushes have likely been around as long as boar, MWF has been made since 1893, and D R Harris have been going since 1790.
True, but the average man (e.g. my dad and granddad) bought the brush they could afford; a boar. Those also were the brushes you found in the regular supermarkets and groceries.

Later, my dad bought a badger, and considered that as a real luxury.

Regarding the soaps, I agree with you, and those soaps would make a fine choice for a traditionalist indeed.

Hello Gents,

1. Save money :lol: and it hurt to shave with carts
2. The variety and the scents, I love the scents
3. Because I was able to turn a mundane daily routine into an enjoyable daily routine. And I love the scents.

Hello Gents,

1. Started at wife's suggestion.
2. Wanted more comfortable shaves.
3. I am saving over cartridges now that I have acquired the gear I need. I have my AD under control, and purchases I make based purely on wants/likes as versus needs I don't count in cost comparisons with other forms of shaving, after all, I never wanted to shave before! Further, I get closer, more comfortable shaves that my wife finds oh, so touchable -- and that, in the end, is what it is all about.

Top Bottom