What's new

Any Runners in the House?

You sound like me when I was injured - trying to convince myself that I was healthy and that the pain wasn't that bad.

You need to shut it down until you are fully healed. It may be a month or more. It's really awful timing, as the weather is getting nice. But if you keep running it will take even longer to heal.

Do whatever you can to stay active in a manner that doesn't hurt your foot. I've been swimming as my cross-training recently and really enjoy it. You could also bike or lift.

Best of luck, my friend.

Appreciate the candor buddy. I'm really glad we have such a great discussion here.

I'm trying to get back in running shape. I was injured during the end of 2014 and beginning of 2015 (hurt my foot during a marathon, re-injured it during a half-marathon a month later). Had to stop running for about 3-4 months.

A friend of mine is the RD of a small 5K on April 25. That's my return to racing. Not sure what kind of time I can put up. Maybe 19:30?

injurys suck. I'm glad that your getting back into though I train for Spartan races and what not. I'll hopefully be on the pro team this year. Marathons are too long for me haha

injurys suck. I'm glad that your getting back into though I train for Spartan races and what not. I'll hopefully be on the pro team this year. Marathons are too long for me haha
Marathons are too long for me, too! I've done two and it's not the distance for me. I think I am more of a middle-distance runner.

Pro team? Didn't know they had those for Spartan races and the like. Good luck!

In the last four years or so I have come down from a pudgy 240 pounder to a fairly lean-and-mean 169 pounder. I was never a serious runner, but I have been serious about it for the last three years or so.

I recently ran the Crescent City Classic in New Orleans where I live. This has got to be the biggest 10K in the country. There were 18,000 people in this year's race. I was very happy at 45 years of age to run 44:26 and be 630th overall. I also think having a seeded time to get up into one of the front corrals was very helpful. The CCC is so huge that if you don't have a seeded time you get caught up in a huge crush of people and can't run your pace. As it was, I was able to run my race.

If anyone ever gets the chance, you should come down here and run the CCC. Great fun, and I don't know of any other 10K where spectators hold out cups of beer and sausage to the runners. I did not partake because I was serious, but it's fun to watch. A Kenyan runner wins every year in 27-28 minutes. Unbelievable!

Welcome to the thread LiveOak! That's a seriously good time for a 10K - way to go! It sounds like a fun race; I'll have to look into it.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

I just went on my first run in two years and 17 days. My last run in 2013 was 5.21 miles, at an average of 9:41 per mile. Today's run was 1.72 miles, at a rate of 13:22 per mile. I've got a LONG way to go, apparently. Fortunately the back injury that caused me to stop running wasn't a problem.

I checked Boston off my list yesterday. The most brutal course and conditions I've ever raced. Ran a 3:17:10... over 5 minutes slower than PR but I wasn't really planning to PR. I just wanted a respectable time and to enjoy it.

I ran with a guy from New Orleans almost the entire race and we planned just to stay at a 7:30 pace until after heartbreak hill and see what was left in the tank. I started to lose my pace a bit the last couple of miles into the 7:40-7:50 range but tried to hold on with VERY heavy legs.

There's not much hill training in Northwest Ohio, my county is flat as a pancake(former Black Swamp) and the only hills in sight are interstate overpasses. Those didn't quite prepare me for the hills although they certainly were better than nothing.

Glad it's over but wow what an experience.

I checked Boston off my list yesterday. The most brutal course and conditions I've ever raced. Ran a 3:17:10... over 5 minutes slower than PR but I wasn't really planning to PR. I just wanted a respectable time and to enjoy it.

I ran with a guy from New Orleans almost the entire race and we planned just to stay at a 7:30 pace until after heartbreak hill and see what was left in the tank. I started to lose my pace a bit the last couple of miles into the 7:40-7:50 range but tried to hold on with VERY heavy legs.

There's not much hill training in Northwest Ohio, my county is flat as a pancake(former Black Swamp) and the only hills in sight are interstate overpasses. Those didn't quite prepare me for the hills although they certainly were better than nothing.

Congratulations! It sounded like lousy conditions because the rain itself was so cold. As I was looking at the weather online I thought "some rain and 45-50 sounds great for running" but when we were outside and felt the cold rain, I knew it would be terrible conditions. How was it being in the athlete's village? Hopefully you didn't get rained on too badly. And those hills are dastardly. They start off gradual but keep building and building until you're all done and then there's one more. Despite the awful winter and the race day weather, I was insanely jealous of everyone who ran it this year and I'm planning on doing it again next year. Wear your jacket with pride!

I just went on my first run in two years and 17 days. My last run in 2013 was 5.21 miles, at an average of 9:41 per mile. Today's run was 1.72 miles, at a rate of 13:22 per mile. I've got a LONG way to go, apparently. Fortunately the back injury that caused me to stop running wasn't a problem.

That's great to hear! Now its all about building on that run step by step.

Welcome to the thread LiveOak! That's a seriously good time for a 10K - way to go! It sounds like a fun race; I'll have to look into it.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

Yeah, I agree completely. Hopefully it wasn't too hot! I love visiting New Orleans but I certainly wouldn't want to run down there! Also, 10Ks are great races and having a huge crowd gives me a jolt of energy throughout even if you're trying to navigate through walkers and slower-paced runners.

Congratulations! Take it easy coming back.

Congratulations on a very good time in challenging conditions!

I'm just now about to do my first half marathon in Lima! I've never done any other race but I look forward to doing some fun races/events when I finish Peace Corps!

Congratulations! It sounded like lousy conditions because the rain itself was so cold. As I was looking at the weather online I thought "some rain and 45-50 sounds great for running" but when we were outside and felt the cold rain, I knew it would be terrible conditions. How was it being in the athlete's village? Hopefully you didn't get rained on too badly. And those hills are dastardly. They start off gradual but keep building and building until you're all done and then there's one more. Despite the awful winter and the race day weather, I was insanely jealous of everyone who ran it this year and I'm planning on doing it again next year. Wear your jacket with pride!

Yeah, I was very happy with the temps but I could have done without the wind and rain. Overall though, if I had to pick between the cold rain with wind and 70 degrees or higher I'd take the cold rain.

Congratulations! Take it easy coming back.

Congratulations on a very good time in challenging conditions!

Thanks, I feel ok about it...not great but I have a hard time not comparing this to my qualifying race.

After looking at all of my splits, I didn't slow down as much as I thought I had. My 5k averages were still in the upper 7:30's at 30k, 35k, and 40k so I didn't fall off as much as I felt like I did. I'm finally able to walk normally again, so going for a run will hopefully be in my near future. I do have a bit of an ITB issue on my left knee, so I'll have to take it slow on getting back at it.

Raced a 5K this morning. I planned to draft the leader for as long as possible and see how things shake out. I expected the pace to be around 6 minutes/mile, which is challenging but doable for me. We did the first mile in 5:41. I knew I was toast at that point. Stayed with the leader for another quarter-mile and then started to fade, and badly. Finished in a time of 19:40; 4th overall and first master.

I still believe I can go sub-19 (I've run a 19:17 before) but need to pace myself better and not worry about other runners.

Ok. I am back with my update about my Under Armour Speed Form Apollo. The swelling in my knee has not gone away however, my runs are very comfortable and the swelling hasn't increased. I appreciate your patience but I wanted to make sure I gave good info.

Congratulations on finishing Boston! Nice time, btw

Wow, this is one of the lengthier threads on the forum :)

Without reading through everything, I'll just introduce myself as a former runner. I was a middle distance guy in high school and college; predominantly half mile and mile races and relays. After college, I managed a run specialty retail shop for several years. In that time I was pretty competitive in the local rinky dink race circuit. I also did some post collegiate track racing, which is really what I enjoyed most. The post collegiate scene, for the most part boils down to old(er) guys jumping into open races at college meets. After I left the running store, I basically shut down after a decade or so of competetive racing. I started cycling and haven't looked back... but that's another thread.

Late last summer I started running again, which lasted for a few months - just long enough to have a taste of run fitness. Regretfully, I let myself go again over the winter. Now that spring is here, I'm thinking about starting back up again but I drag my feet because I know how painful those first few weeks are...

Last edited:
Your bloody right mate! A kilt was a pre-req for the race, no kilt means you can't take part. It was also bloody hot on this July month, and the race started in the afternoon, with a golf course being part of the route.

The big question is... did you have any support under that kilt or did you go all out, traditional style. hah!

In college I had a buddy who told me the way to work off a sprain is to gradually run on it. I did that for a week and ended up in crutches for a month! Not saying you are doing that...just wanted to tell the story :)

For a sprain, you really need to strengthen your ankle before running. Work your stabilizer muscles... balancing, rubber bands, etc. You need to do whatever you can to help strenghten it as well as repair the damage. It's really easy to roll an already weakened ankle if you push your luck and come back too soon.

Top Bottom