What's new

Any Runners in the House?

My first marathon is in the books!

I ran the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon (paved trail) Saturday and finished in 4:09 and change. I had an Achilles strain 5 weeks before the race that took me out for about 3 weeks, missing one 20 mile run and a total of 55 miles of training. I had been able to run pain free the two weeks prior to the race, working up to 9 miles the weekend before. About mile 17, however, the pain came back, followed by quad pain about 3 miles after that.

I was running really strong, and very steady, and on pace to finish around 3:57 but when my quads lit up on top of my Achilles pain, my pace gradually slowed. I tried a few times to push through the pain to maintain a sub 4 hr finish but at 22 miles I gave up on that idea and just ran as fast as the pain would allow.

One side affect of running slower for the last 6 miles was that my heart rate dropped quite a bit, from 158 most of the race to 142 at the finish, and I didn't feel tired at the end. I had expected to collapse from exhaustion.

While I didn't make my 4 hour goal time, I'm pretty damn happy with the result and the experience. Not bad for having been a runner for just a year. I'm now debating if I want to signup for a fall marathon or wait until next spring again. Also up for consideration is whether I want to do another marathon as my next major race or go for an 50k trail race.

Congrats on your finish! Hope your legs heal up and your next marathon is more comfortable and then I'm sure you'll hit that 4 hour goal. :thumbup1:

Not sure, Tim. I have an old injury in that ankle (it has a pin in it) but this feels more like a ligament issue. I really have no idea what happened.

My main focus at this point is power then mass. I run a mile or two generally and thats ok by me. I was running up to five miles at a time a few years ago but I've decided to focus on what I'm good at and thats lifting.

I also firmly believe that some cardio helps with power and mass.

My main focus at this point is power then mass. I run a mile or two generally and thats ok by me. I was running up to five miles at a time a few years ago but I've decided to focus on what I'm good at and thats lifting.

I also firmly believe that some cardio helps with power and mass.

It will, but you should avoid doing it right after a lifting workout to maximize your gains, running will cause flushing of the cells that will lessen some of your gains. Cario will help build Type II fibres and also allow you to lift longer without exhaustion on lifts such as squats so that can really help.

Sorry I haven't been around much but I really love this thread and how supportive everyone has been. Congrats 5savages on the marathon! And sorry to hear about the injuries MrSpeedy. As for me, I've got my arthroscopy in about 10 days or so. I'm looking forward to getting back to running afterward because I haven't run at all since the marathon. One of the post-marathon things I enjoyed last time in 2014 was just going out for a nice leisurely run without any training plan or required distance or timing.

Top Bottom